Forum home Plants

Help regarding iris rhizomes

Hi,
Quite a novice gardener, I have tried to look up the answer to this online but am just getting confused as I'm not sure my specific situation is represented. Expert advice would be much appreciated! 

I was given a few yellow iris rhizomes in the summer, I intended to plant them in my garden but didn't do it straight away. I have basically kept them in a couple of pots with water for a few months now. They started off with several dead leaves on them, they look more dead now but there are several brand new green leaves (or 'fans'?) Sprouting up from them.

I think I understand the correct method for planting them (make a mound, leave the top of the rhizome exposed etc).
My questions:
1) But is it too late now to plant them out? do I have to wait for next summer?
2) If I do plant them out now, will they have become 'used to' the indoor climate and do I need to re-acclimatise them to outside gradually before putting them in the ground? 
3) Is planting some in the pond an option?

I will probably have more questions after initial advice, apologies in advance! Many thanks!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,160
    edited December 2022
    Hi @wjrhickmanfeT4yHcX - do you mean the flag Iris?
    Those are different from bearded Iris for example - in that they like moist conditions.  :)
    They're all hardy anyway, but we'd need to know what exactly you have.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,535
    edited December 2022
    I would leave them in the pots until the Spring, tucked up perhaps by a wall under the eaves and kept on the dry side. It will be too warm inside. It does depend on what type of irises they are and whereabouts in the country you are though.