Forum home The potting shed

On modern marriage and family

Fence sitting here.
Not homophobic, xenophobic, or religious fanatic.

Here my dilemma....

Marriage used to be the legal union between one man, male, and one woman, female.
And a child could have maximum one father, and maximum one mother, so maximum two parents, biological or legal.

But this has been changing.
Now two men, or two women, can legally marry. All good.
And a child can have two father, or two mother. Great.

If society is fine with these, and im not saying it shouldn't, where should the line be drawn? Or what's the argument for drawing a line at all?

If two men can marry, not not 3, or more? In case you wonder: this legally happened already.
If a man can marry his boyfriend, can he marry his brother? Or his father? Or his mother? Or his dog? Or a song? Or a thought? Or a mathematical equation?

If a child can have 2 fathers, why not 3 or more? 
Or why not  2 mothers AND 1 father?

Not arguing either way. Just confused.
Thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,086
    Marlorena said:
    As a woman I'm in favour of having 3 husbands..

One should be a car mechanic, another a builder and the third, a chef.. 
    Between the 3 they can also do the housework.. 

As long as they also had their own houses to live in, and didn't want to hang around indefinitely   ;)

I think you might be opening a very, very large can of worms with this topic @Albe....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,326
    If one can self-identify as a cat, then the opportunities for (technical) interspecies marriage seem quite open
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • AlbeAlbe Posts: 123
    I think you might be opening a very, very large can of worms with this topic @Albe....
    True.
    But it's not really me opening this can of worms. Society has moved the boundaries of what is accepted, because the old boundaries were discriminating against decent people and that was just evil. Good.

But if we accept that, and im not saying we shouldn't, isn't it naive to expect those that are STILL discriminated (like two sisters wanting to marry, or 3 boyfriends wanting a child together) simply remain silent...
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,603
    I think there are fairly obvious medical reasons against incest. It’s also generally acceptable to marry only other human beings. This seems like rather a foolish post. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,221
    Why not just do away with marriage. Have a free for all like the little dunnocks in my garden.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    edited December 2022
    pansyface said:
    Why not just do away with marriage. 
    My wife and I have different nationalities. She wouldn't be allowed to reside in this country were we not married.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,220
    I'm not quite sure why it's a dilemma ... are you being asked to make some sort of pronouncement or decision? 

Live and let live is my motto and don't stress about having to form an opinion on other people's lives ... do the best you can for the children you have, no matter how their family is arranged.  

And yes, incest will always be a bad idea ... until it isn't. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I'm not quite sure why it's a dilemma ... are you being asked to make some sort of pronouncement or decision? 

Live and let live is my motto and don't stress about having to form an opinion on other people's lives ... do the best you can for the children you have, no matter how their family is arranged.  

And yes, incest will always be a bad idea ... until it isn't. 
    Great answer, thanks a lot.

Sunday afternoon. Grey and cold. Home alone. Injuried at the moment and limited in sport and physical activities. Getting bored. So I just make crazy thoughts...