Forum home Plants

More furry garden invaders

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,876
No quid for Hosta today. I've got a few mullein seedlings volunteering in with one of my potted acers. I want to keep them but I know they've got deep tap roots and I don't want them growing in with the acer. If I transplant them now will they just die? I don't really want to leave them until spring when the root might be too far down with the tree roots. They can go in the greenhouse in longtoms if that would help.
I transplanted the original plant from a building site where it was growing in a thin layer of sand wedged between two concrete blocks so I know they're pretty tough. I thought none of the seed has set but suddenly five or six small plants have appeared in a tree pot. The tree pot is one of six that are all identical and side by side but there are no seedlings in any of the others. Bizarre how plants can work like that.
Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,118
    In theory, it's the same with Fennel. They have a deep tap root too. 
    However, I've moved them several times with no ill effects. I removed a border earlier this year which had several plants in it. Potted up one of them, and re planted the rest - about 3 or 4  plants in total. All are thriving. 
    I moved a fairly mature plant last year [I think] which had a fairly big root, and it didn't come out easily, and bits were left. I didn't expect it to survive [and wasn't bothered if it did as it was meant to be the bronze one not the green] but it not only survived, but is thriving.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,576
    they'll be fine, the quicker you move them the better. We have them as a field weed, some come back after being ploughed so a gentle transplant won't kill them all.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,228
    Mulleins are tough old boots here.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Here too with the Mullein - I've only just removed the flower stem from one but plenty of youngsters waiting to do their thing next year. 
  • We have them pop up down our allotment and I move them in the winter to my home garden or the wildlife bit around our allotment bathtub pond. I've moved every size imaginable, up to about 18 inch across and can't remember any of them dieing on me. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
    Move them now … before they start growing again … they’ll hardly notice at this time of year. 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh