Forum home Problem solving

Clematis outer skin splitting.

Hi, I have various clematis plants which are all suffering the same problem which does not seem to conform to the various help pages. The stems appear to split their outer skins exposing the inner layer, and this in turn causes the stem to die. I have pruned off the affected branches but this does not stop the progress of the splitting. I have given a clematis feed every two weeks during the season and ensured the plants are well watered. The problem started early summer and continues now in early winter. Can anybody suggest what the problem might be

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    A picture would help, as I can't quite understand what you mean.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    edited December 2022
    I can't really see any problem. What is it you think is wrong?

Clematis don't need fed every two weeks.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you for your reply Punkdoc. The photo shows the split of the outer casing - and anything past this point will shrivel and die within a few days. The leaves go soft, brown and fall - they do not go yellow as might be expected in autumn. Although the photo is of a bending branch the problem occurs on straight, horizontal or vertical stems.
    I've turned it to make it easier to see  :)

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,253
    Why is it blue?🤔
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Another photograph.
  • Thank you Pansyface, I think that is caused by the transfer to this site. The outer skin is the expected oak brown, and the inner core is ivory sort of white.
    edited December 2022
    Your last pic shows very tight string - that will rub the outer layer of the stems, and cause a lot of damage.
    If you tie tightly to the support, then loosely round the stem, that will help  :)

Looking again- is the string round the clem stems or is that the support? It's the part with the cord/string tied tightly that looks damaged. I'm slightly confused by the pic now!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,253
    My clematis plants all develop skin that peels off in long thin threads. The blue tits love it. Every spring it goes to form the binding material of their nests.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.