Forum home Plants

Hornbeam (and other woody plants)

Hi, I seem to have a lot of what I would call slate beetle insect attaching permanently to stems and on lifting the insect there is evidence of a soft larvae which borrows up  the stems causing damage and even limbs dropping. How do I treat these? Do I need to be worried about that? What is the best insecticide to use? I just don’t know what I’m dealing with. I’ve not seen this insect in the area before but it seems to be very heavy. I sore a reference to’mummy wasp’ which were numerous with no bees this year. There was mass brown husks attached to the plants at the end of spring. PLEASE HELP 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    Do you mean scale insect?
    I'm struggling to understand some of your post. Do you have a photo? That will help with advice.
    If you can add more info too - location, general climate etc, that will also help  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    Fairygirl said:
    Do you mean scale insect?

Woodlice to us @Fairygirl . Maybe they’re different in another country. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,028
    edited December 2022
    Mummy Wasps or Parasitic Wasps are good to have in the garden.
    Slate Beetles or Woodlice like dead wood they do move about. I also think you might have scale insects which fix to the branches and they can overwinter. You could try brushing the stems squashing them is another idea. 
    I don't think this problem is affecting bees. Perhaps next year you could add some more plants that bees love.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    That crossed my mind @Lyn [slaters here] but it was the description of them attaching to stems that puzzled me  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• thanks guys for your responses it’s really given me some insight into what is happening. However, if I expose deeper into the stem of the plant there seems to be some sort of Larvae  which eats its way up to the stem. Do you know what this might be guys? Thanks for your insights and advice. It’s really helpful. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,176
    We really need some photos. 🥴
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • A clear pic to show these would give a positive /accurate answer.
    Do please add a pic to this thread.
    Maybe you have a friend to help you to do this if you haven't got a smart phone or camera.
    Take lots of pics and only post the clearest one.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,176
    edited December 2022
    No slater or slate beetle that I have ever met could do that amount of damage.

Do you have deer in your garden?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.