Forum home Plants

3 Trees to ID please

JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN North DevonPosts: 195
Can anyone help to ID these three trees ? I think one is a fruit tree, plum or similar but I've no idea what the other two are and I guess with little foliage it may be hard to identify them and that i may have to wait for Spring. The last picture belongs to the third photo down.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,360
    I think the middle one with cream edging to the leaves is a variegated Weigela.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • First looks like goat willow and the second like hazel. Agree about the weigela.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,136
    edited December 2022
    First looks like goat willow and the second like hazel. Agree about the weigela.
    Counting pics  makes threads so messy.

4.5.6.   Agree Weigela.
    3.. Leaves do  look like Salix caprea...common name Goat Willow.

Cannot see any Corylus avellana...common name hazel.
    Even by August the baby catkins are formed ready to grow longer  after Christmas.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848
    I think there's confusion because picture 3 and the final pic are of the same tree, according to @JAYJARDIN.  My guess would be that this tree is possibly a damson... and I'd hazard another guess that the shoots with green leaves in front of it could be suckers from the rootstock...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN North DevonPosts: 195
    Thanks everyone.
    Photos 3 and 7 are of the same tree. No catkins so that rules out salix. Looks like there are some fruit spurs so damson may be right, but the leaves look more like Hazel leaves so I'm not sure.
    Any ideas on photos 1 & 2 ?
  • JAYJARDIN said:
    Thanks everyone.
    No catkins so that rules out salix. Looks like there are some fruit spurs so damson may be right, but the leaves look more like Hazel leaves so I'm not sure.

None of your pics above look right for Hazel...Corylus avellana...see below.
    No catkins either.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN North DevonPosts: 195
    Having looked again, I agree, definitely not Hazel and there are fruit spurs so I think damson is right, so thanks everyone, I have all three identified. Goat Willow wasn't a great choice by a previous house owner for a small-ish garden where you are not supposed to grow anything more than 2 meters tall !
  • It's likely the goat willow planted itself. Their seed travels a long way.