Forum home Plants

New laurel hedge

Hi all, I’m after some advice please. I’ve bought 10 x 2ft potted laurels to create a new hedge at the side of my boundary. We have had a couple of frosts recently - is it okay to still plant them? I thought you could plant potted at any time of year but someone told me if there are frosts it might kill them off. Thanks in advance. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,086
    Hi @reid.j.clairefi7HpZh5 - it'll be fine as long as you make sure the ground isn't actually frozen when you plant them. Laurel [especially cherry laurel] is so tough that it can withstand frost after planting anyway, but it's always best to wait until you have a few days of temps that mean the soil isn't frosted or icy. It would only be a potential problem if you were getting heavy frosts which were lasting all day and then  going on for days with little relief.
    If the ground is nice and moist they'll need little watering too, but it depends on whereabouts you are, and what your soil is like etc.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you! No it’s just frosty in the morning at the moment but doesn’t last all day so I’ll have a go at planting them this weekend! Thank you 😊 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,086
    The most important thing when planting any hedge [or plant] is the prep. A properly defined border, some organic matter added if the soil isn't great, watered in well, and a mulch of bark or similar - any organic material really, and that gets them off to a good start.  :)

We have an enormous thread about laurel. It'll keep you busy reading it until you can get them planted   ;)
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/656523/help-needed-please-with-laurel-hedge-issues/p1
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....