Forum home Tools and techniques

Giant pizza wheel?

I am digging up my derelict garden, full of grass and ivy and other unwanted stuff.  It would be really handy to have a tool like a giant pizza wheel that I could use to segment the sections, cutting through as much of the matted roots as possible.  I am doing this with my spade but it's a bit laborious.  I can picture it being easier with a giant pizza wheel.  Does such a tool exist?  Or maybe there's a better way of doing it than I'm currently managing with the spade?

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,619
    The easiest way would be to hire a turf cutter like this https://www.hss.com/hire/p/turf-cutter-light-duty. A quick web search should get you lots of options for tool hire places near you.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,879
    Make sure your spade is sharp. A lot of people don't bother to put a proper edge on them but it really helps with that kind of job.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • I've always dreamed of such a tool as well! I wonder if it might not work as well as it does in my dreams haha!
  • I've always dreamed of such a tool as well! I wonder if it might not work as well as it does in my dreams haha!
    Yes, seems like such an obvious tool.  Maybe we should invent it.  Might be millions out there who've been waiting for the giant gardening pizza wheel!
  • StephenSouthwestStephenSouthwest Southwest EnglandPosts: 428
    You'd need a giant hand attached to a giant body to put enough pressure through the length of the giant pizza wheel blade...
  • BenCotto said:
    Would it work all year round? Four seasons, so to speak.
    Lol, we'll have you on the marketing dept me and RubyMargate invent it!
  • You'd need a giant hand attached to a giant body to put enough pressure through the length of the giant pizza wheel blade...
    Hmm, it's starting to sound like a powered giant pizza wheel.  Could it be more in the form of a penny farthing do you think?
  • Simone_in_WiltshireSimone_in_Wiltshire WiltshirePosts: 557
    @finnbleK1xeTuT- Keep going, I know it's unbelievable hard work, but don't give up. Just do the target day by day and give yourself a treat after each day's work. At some point, you have reached half of the garden and you are over the hill and then there will be the moment when you really do the last bit. You will be rewarded and so pleased with yourself once it's finished.
    Please take pictures and share it with us.

PS: when I took out the mess in our neglected garden, once the ground was cleared of the first 10 inches, a neighbour had a concrete roll and I thought I could flatten the ground. It was a lesson I had to learn. Not only that it was so heavy that I couldn't move it, I had to pay my garden chap to bring it to the waste side.
    I ended up with my knees on the dry clay soil, hammering for hours (5 or 6) with claw hammer to get the clay soil broken and flat.

I my garden.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,879
    edited December 2022
    You'd need a giant hand attached to a giant body to put enough pressure through the length of the giant pizza wheel blade...
    Hmm, it's starting to sound like a powered giant pizza wheel.  Could it be more in the form of a penny farthing do you think?
    Not insulting my wife's cooking of course...

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people