Forum home Plants

What shall I do with these Nerines?

EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 442
I bought these Nerines (I’m 90% sure that’s what they are), earlier this year and put them in these pots as a temporary thing. I didn’t get round to moving them and now I’m not sure if I should. They have looked green and healthy all summer without growing at all. Are they dying back for winter or throwing in the towel? I wanted them together in a bigger pot as there isn’t a suitable sunny spot available in a border. If a pot is a good idea, what would you put with them, if anything?
Carmarthenshire 
If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869
    generally speaking Nerines are invisible all summer, flower late summer/autumn and make leaves in the new year
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869
    PS, the extra in the lower pot is a Willowherb
  • EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 442
    😁 Oh. I guess it’s a mystery then. I’ll leave them as they are, maybe put them in the polytunnel to keep the worst of the frost off them and see what happens. I don’t think that’s willowherb. It never gets very big, if left un-weeded. We do have willowherb in the hedge a short distance away, and the leaves look and feel very different. 
    Carmarthenshire 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,143
    That’s a Willowherb weed, I would remove that and put them in the greenhouse for the winter.   They don’t survive outside here for me.  You can leave them in the pots, they seem to thrive on neglect, had them for years,  but I left some out last year and they died. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

The ones I have here were what my dad grew many years ago,  they prefer to be dry,  he used to keep them in the GH all year round,  when they were about to flower he would bring them into their conservatory. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,706
    Could they be young plants of agapanthus? They'd be green all summer and have that kind of strappy leaves. Deciduous types would die back for winter. Maybe pop them somewhere sheltered and see if they start regrowing in spring.
    The "extra" looks very willowherby to me.
    I don’t think the bulb would be that big on a newly planted Agapanthus. 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,741
    That doesn't look like Nerine foliage to me, it's much closer to Agapanthus. Our Nerine's have a more wide, pale/lime green foliage.

If it is Nerine's, we keep ours permanently in large-ish pots. They stay outside all year, but we are in the South East. The foliage appears earlier in the year than you might think, in warmer parts of the UK, and we find it attractive enough to not need to plant anything else in the same pots as the Nerine's.
  • EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 442
    They could be agapanthus, now that several of you have mentioned it. Thanks 😊 
    Carmarthenshire 
  • Either agapanthus or nerines..we have them growing outside all year round. We don't lift them and they come up every year. Agree that the leaves do look more like agapanthus.