Forum home Plants

Best geraniums?

Just planning for next year. Could you please recommend your favourite hardy geraniums? I have mostly purpley ones (Rozanne, Bloomtime, Ann Folkard, Russell Prichard, the miniature Thumbling Hearts) and some assorted pale pink ones like Vision Pink and Dreamland, but would like to try some white ones or bright pinks or even verging on red if such exist.

• PageZPageZ Posts: 87
    I love hardy geranium! Rozanne is my favourite. 
    This nursery has a good collection. It's worth to take a look. 
    https://hardygeraniumnursery.co.uk/

• izzy8izzy8 Posts: 147
    Kashmir White is a good spreader
  • coccinellacoccinella Luxembourg Posts: 510
    For a low growing one I can reccommend Geranium sangineum "Max Frei". Mine is in partial shade in summer and it flowered profusely even as a tiny plant.
    When down go out and buy a packet of seeds
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,116
    Some whites/pink.. all continuous, May-Oct..

.. x riversleianum 'Jean Armour'...  light pink, spreading..

x oxonianum 'Cream Chocolate'.. forms a big mound in time..  pretty foliage..

sanguineum 'Apple Blossom'.. 

.for real red, you best stick with a Pelargonium.. [sorry !].. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,680
    G. sanguineum "album" is a nice compact white with dark green leaves. G. s. striatum (A.k.a. lancastriense) is a good veined pale pink.
    I don't think there are any that come close to red. The nearest would be the magenta forms. G. subcaulescens "Guiseppe" is low growing, G. psilostemon is bigger.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,738
    White ones:
    Renardii

Double Diamond Star

Black and White (has very nice dark brown foliage, quite compact plant)

Pink ones:

Blushing Turtle (very low growing, good ground cover)

Psilostemon (one of my favourites, very long flowering if deadheaded)

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,582
    I agree that white and pale pink geraniums are relatively easy to find and I can second all of the above recommendations.

I'd also add G. nodosum alba and G maccrorhizum 'White Ness' for a pure white (both are quite good in dry shade which is helpful)

G. cantabridgiense 'Biokovo' is an excellent 'doer' in my garden. It forms large almost evergreen clumps and has near white to palest shell pink flowers.

I don't know of any red hardy geraniums but I like Anne Thompson, Anne Folkard & Patricia which are all magenta. 

I've never grown it but Orkney Cherry may be a deep pink.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Thanks heaps, everyone. So many lovely suggestions and good leads to follow. 
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    Orkney Cherry is indeed deep pink / magenta, with wonderful bronzed leaves.

I second all the other suggestions (but I think all hardy geraniums are fab!)
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    I've grown several of the dark pinks - 'Ann Folkard' is my favourite of those.
    I don't like pastel colours or blue, so the others I grow are the white one already mentioned - S. album, and another whose name I can't recall. Sorry.
    I find renardii doesn't flower for long here, but the foliage is nice. 
    I used to grow 'Kashmir White' which was always reliable.

Does biokovo behave for you @Topbird? I find it to be a real thug, and it's choking various other plants in a border here. It was here when I moved in, but I can't get rid of it and I loathe the colour. Every little bit grows at a rate of knots. Useful in places where nothing else grows though.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....