Forum home Tools and techniques

What's a great non-slip material?

I know that this isn't really a gardening question, but I've found that this forum is great for DIY questions as well. I've just installed a new table-top dishwasher in my elderly aunt's kitchen, but the door is quite difficult to open and when she pulls the handle the dishwasher moved forward a bit. So I now looking for a piece of non slip material to help keep it from moving too much. I first search for "non-slip mats" like you would put on a table, but I don't think they are necessarily non-slip on both sides, just on the bottom to keep them in place. Then I remembered seeing these (see image below), which are used keep something in place on a car dashboard, although I am sceptical about how effective they would be in reality but the image does illustrate the extreme amount of grip I'm trying to achieve. 

Does anyone know what I should ask for if I call around my local suppliers? Thank you very much everyone.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    Maybe a small sheet of rubber would hold it in place - or rubber feet.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,047
    Velcro?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • EricsGardenEricsGarden Posts: 151
    edited November 2022
    Pete.8 said:
    Maybe a small sheet of rubber would hold it in place - or rubber feet.
    Yes I have some rubber feet from an old project (can't remember what) but they're only non-slip (or sticky) on one side, so it will not make much difference. Besides, I think "rubber" might be a group term used for several different materials.

B3 said:
    Velcro?
     :D 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,540
    edited November 2022
    A textured rubber flooring, the kind with large raised dimples, would work and be non-slip both sides. Usually available on a roll or occasionally as tiles in most diy stores. The classic brand is Dalsouple, which we used to have in a past laundry room and the washing machine and dryer stayed firmly put. Lots of manufacturers do similar a lot cheaper.

eta - or any rubber car mat from halfords and the like.
  • EricsGardenEricsGarden Posts: 151
    edited November 2022
    Nollie said:
    A textured rubber flooring, the kind with large raised dimples, would work and be non-slip both sides. Usually available on a roll or occasionally as tiles in most diy stores. The classic brand is Dalsouple, which we used to have in a past laundry room and the washing machine and dryer stayed firmly put. Lots of manufacturers do similar a lot cheaper.

eta - or any rubber car mat from halfords and the like.
    Good call on the car mat. That might be perfect. I'll have a look for Dalsouple too. Cheers!

While I was writing this reply my aunt just sent me a link to this she found. Do you think it would do the trick? Worth trying for a pound maybe?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/306350693
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,047
    edited November 2022
    I wasn't joking. Glue strips to the work top and the base of the machine or just at the corners.  You can get heavy duty stuff😊

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,540
    I think the car mat would be grippier, not sure those sm rolls are heavy duty enough to cope with the machine vibrations, we have those in drawers and they barely hold the cutlery tray in place! You need a really stable table too, unless fixed like a work surface you might find that starts walking across the floor by itself.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,097
    Would one of those rubber type mats people put in a shower tray work?

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    Worst case option-  is there somewhere at the back where you could attach a bracket (or something) then secure it to the wall to stop it moving?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,680
    I had some of the Tesco stuff that @EricsGarden linked to. I used it, cut to shape, underneath ceramic plant containers to stop them marking the wndowsills and furniture. I don't think it would hold against a firm tug.