Forum home The potting shed

peat

Peat should be used in seed, potting and ericaceous composts, it is the only medium that gets excellent seed germination and root growth and lots of plants need it to grow i.e. rhododendrons, can you imagine a world without them? There is a lot of misinformation about peat, if farmed in a sustainable manner, and most of it is, then there is no problem, gardeners only use 1% of all peat used in the UK, no other industry (99% of peat is used by others, not gardeners) are being asked to stop using peat, it will be a tragedy for gardeners if there isn't a compromise, why why only gardeners it's a travesty.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,857
    You better go grab your tin hat!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,025
    First post, controversial, a WUM perchance?
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,671
    My thought exactly.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    Rhododendrons do not need peat. I have dozens in my garden and they have never been near peat.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,096
    I garden on heavy clay and also grow rhodies .... no need for peat, just lots of homemade compost and leafmold.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,981
    I'd agree with you @punkdoc - a likely WUM.
    None of my rhodos, pieris or camellias etc have ever had peat either @steephill. There's a huge misconception about those so called peat/acid loving shrubs. Neutral soil is fine - it's only if it's nearer the alkaline end of that, that you might be concerned. I'd be growing different plants if that was the case though. 

Oh - and the figures I've seen are different. 5% used in horticulture, not 1%.
    It does beg the question though- who's using the other 90 odd %  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• izzy8izzy8 Posts: 147
    Earthquakes, floods and famine are what I class as tragedies ,  having to use peat free compost doesn't even come close. From what I  gather the government intends to phase out peat in compost by 2025 so we had better learn to manage without it.   I can only speak for my own garden but I've been buying peat free for a couple of years now and found no difference in germination and growth. Just a thought
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,146
    These folk say that rhodos are perfectly happy without peat ... and they should know ...
    https://glendoick.com/Rhododendrons-how-to-grow  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850
    "Bagged retail growing media accounts for 70% of the peat sold in the UK."  www.gov.uk, 18 December 2021
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,981
    Interesting @Liriodendron. It does make you wonder who tots up the figures, doesn't it?
    It's like that saying about statistics - 'there's lies, damned lies, and statistics'  ;)

One of the most famous outlets for rhodos @Dovefromabove :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....