Forum home The potting shed

Spring has arrived :)

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854
I was not surprised to read this-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63754070

I saw a wisteria with a few blooms this morning and a lilac with flowers - it just don't seem right.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• I have primroses in flower.
  • We have primroses in flower as well. The lavender has started flowering again as have some of the astrantias.
  • Seems more of a prolonged autumn cross spring. We have many flowers still going that still give an autumn display most years but have had dahlias flowering at Christmas a couple of years ago, so it's not out of the ordinary.  It's very strange for plants and our winter flowering clematis freckles, has had some flowers all year, even throughout the heat wave, but is starting to really bloom like it would in winter now. 

I'm beginning to forget when things should be flowering now because it's constantly changing.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    Native primroses flower on and off all year round here, but I noticed some Escallonia in flower a few days ago, outside a house. It's in between some hedging and their boundary fence, so it's sheltered, but even so!
    I have a few Harebells/Scottish bluebells [Campanula rotundifolia] still flowering.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850
    So have I, @Fairygirl.  I look at them and think of you...  I guess a few years ago you must have been commenting how easy they were from seed, so I gave it a go and have grown them ever since.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,304
    I was astonished today to notice that my bay tree has flower buds! Probably the cold will get them sooner or later.  Lavender has begun flowering again.  Rosemary has not stopped flowering for about a year.  Some daffodils are well up and will show buds soon. An apple tree has a few blossoms. Verbena bonariensis and honeysuckle still going strong and a few roses too. So far only about five minutes of frost in my Sussex garden this autumn and none predicted for now. Very strange year.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Bowle's mauve and Rosanne are still flowering as well as a couple of crocosmias and roses. Most of the dahlias were too, but the recent vile weather, torrential rain and cold, strong winds shredded most remaining flowers and buds.
    I lifted them on Thursday, it was like another world, a beautiful day, no wind and warm sunshine, so it was a pleasure to be outside. I left just Karma Prospero, as he still had several flowers and viable buds, to see if he can make it to December, which would be a first here. Three trays of tubers to over winter in the spare room, not counting the big ones in pots in the GH!
    It feels strange, as we have still not had a frost, just heavy dews and once a couple of minutes of white rain.One of my little japanese maples got frazzled by the drying winds in summer. It lost a lot of leaves and then regrew some. Now, when all the other trees are just bare branches its new leaves are a little beacon of scarlet :)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854
    Looking at the 10-day forecast for where I am, it looks like winter is arriving next week with temps dropping from around 10-12C day and a little lower overnight at present to around 5-6C during the day and down to 1C overnight.
    I guess there will be quite a shock for the plants thinking that Spring has arrived.
    I imagine it will be quite a shock for me too! 
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,766
    I hope the plants won’t suffer next year, it will be interesting to see how resilient and adaptable they are.

I also noticed that there will be a sharp drop in temp in a week or so. I must bring the remaining pelargoniums in from the patio to the shelter of the back porch area. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales.