Forum home Fruit & veg

Gooseberry

pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 157
Where I used to live, I had planted a cheap supermarket gooseberry bush in a shady corner, and in poor soil, it grew and grew, giving off lots of fruit, when I moved a little more south with a south-facing garden with rich soil, I purchased 2 gooseberry bushes, that was 3 years ago. First thing I noticed was that they both wanted to spread out rather than grow vertically at all, secondly, I think I may have eaten 4 gooseberries off them in this time, now it could be birds, rodents or something beating me to them, but I feel that I have a poor variety, I pruned them last year back to 6 inches or so, but they spread out again, prickly little buggers.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,127
    Different varieties have different growth habits. I found Hinnonmaki yellow to be particularly wide and sprawling … but it is a marvellously flavoured dessert gooseberry. 

I suspect the blackbirds may have been raiding yours. I stuck little windmills (the sort you buy at the seaside) around my gooseberry bush and that kept the blackbirds at a respectful distance. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 157
    Dovefromabove, I think Pidgeons are the reason, I'm going to dig these up and give them to my neighbour, then plant 2 upright type
  • Growth type will not deter birds if they like fruit. Netting or a fruit cage will be the only answer. Blackbirds will also go under and up inside netting if the smallest hole is left.
    The voice of experience!
  • Thankfully the birds leave our gooseberries and blackcurrants alone. However the blackbirds love the redcurrants as well as the cherries.