Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Moss problem

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with moss in my front garden (see photo). Should I remove the moss now or wait till the spring? Should I use a moss killer or just rake out?

Any recommendations appreciated,

Many thanks,

Ed

• Arthur1Arthur1 Posts: 542
    2 things I would say
    If you control the moss now, physically or chemically, you will inevitably cause some damage to the lawn which will be visible until spring because of slow winter growth.
    However and whenever you control the moss, if you don't deal with the cause of the moss, looks like poor drainage due to compaction, then it will return.
    I would scarifying with a springbok rake in March but there are chemical controls available if you prefer.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,566
    I think the edges of a grass area like that, next to paving/driveway, is probably always going to suffer from compaction from being walked on/driven over/stepped on when getting out of a car, etc. Added to that, the footings probably go under there so the soil won't be deep and will be prone to dry out in dry weather and maybe also not drain well in wet weather. Those conditions aren't good for grass so you might never be able to maintain a perfect lawn right up to the edge. I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's green.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • bédébédé Posts: 3,095
    edited November 2022
    If you walk on the mossy area you at risk of slipping.

The moss will grow faster than the grass during the winter.  It will always remain a contrasting paler colour.  In the summer it may dry off to brownish, but this will still be noticeable.  Nothing is more damaging to graas than competing moss.

I have just watered mine with Sulphate of Iron.  The moss went black quickly, and is much less noticeable.  It will slowly die away.  The grass did not react immediately, but I know it will become greener gradually.

I always believe in treating the separate problems separately:  fertlising, moss control, other lawn weed control.

My formula is: 6 tablespoons of Sulphate of Iron (= ferrous sulphate, FeSO4.  Readily available at garden centres, but it doesn't say anti-moss on the packet.) dissolved in 1.5 gallons (standard watering can size).  Watered on at just-covering amount.

I do about now, and I may repeat in early spring if needed.  I try to do just the areas that are needed, but it can be lying out of sight elsewhere.

If you water it on your paving you will get a rust-colourd discoloration.  On your fingers and shoes  too.

I don't remove by scarifying - why waste peat for free!  But id there is compation, I would spike with a garden fork.  But perhaps leave that until the spring.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    I agree with @JennyJ. It's not a huge area, so it really isn't a major problem. 
    If you want perfect grass/lawn, that's a big undertaking, and takes a lot of time and effort, and money, to have a bowling green look.
    Depends how you feel about it. I'm with Jenny on that. My grass is largely moss from about October until April/May, when the grass gets the upper hand, but it's green  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    Fairygirl said:
     but it's green
    So is artificial turf and painted concrete.  Different people have different standards.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    I love how you take things out of context....  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039
    That is very restrained of you, @Fairygirl
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,474
    I have a small ' lawn' in the front garden. There's a lot of moss, other non-grass species and some grass. The moss is soft and green. I don't mind it at all.
    In London. Keen but lazy.

Boy George (I’m a celeb):  " … people are being too nice, it gets in my head”

edited November 2022
    The original poster, Edward is (possibly) a male.  Males like to control.  Laisser-faire may not answer his question.  

Trying to impose another world-view may not be ideal.  Like telling a Zen monk to stop raking the sand.