Forum home Problem solving

help with pot suggestions and worm composting

YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 213
Hi hope this is ok to do but wanted to ask about two things in one thread. I can make two threads if easier.
Firstly I have a some indoor tropical plants which will get to tree size eventually. I know its a hard thing to do but I want to try. My question is what kind of pots are best? I know they need soil based compost but is a taller or wider pot best?
Secondly how do you know when compost from a wormery is done? Is it supposed to be crumbly and loose as mine is lumpy.
Thanks for reading.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,427
    I'd go for something like a "classic" plant pot in terms of the height/width ratio - neither tall and thin nor wide and shallow, but in between. It's better to pot them on into gradually bigger pots as they grow rather than putting them straight into pots that will suit their mature size. And I'm sure you know this, but make sure they have drainage holes. You can use plastic pots inside decorative outer containers if you like, just make sure that water doesn't sit in the base (unless they are plants that prefer their feet wet, like Cyperus).
    I don't know about the wormery compost, sorry.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,559
    edited 22 November
    I consider worm composting done when I cant see any un-composted material in it, in my experience it will be damp anyway so will be sticking in lumps, I do use the compost by adding it to the ground though so if its not completely composted the soil insects will continue to break it down. If you want it for potting mix you may have to let it dry out a bit and then pass it through a riddle.
  • GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 299
    I wondered about worm compost for a while as mine always was lumpy and soggy. Then by accident, I found some under the greenhouse bench which had been in an old compost bag for a year and forgotten about. It was lovely, not too dry, crumbly and just right to add to my tomato pots. I plan to harvest mine soon and leave it over winter.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,686
    I bought a 6" Polyscias 3 yrs ago in Sainsburys and hope I can get it to a small indoor tree tree size one day.
    I repotted it in the summer into a pot I found in the garden I think the pot is concrete. The pot measures 10" across the top and is 10" tall - it seems very happy in there. It's just over 4ft now.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 721
    Can’t give specific advice just passing on what potted plant knowledge I’ve gained through experience. Always use pots with straight sides. I had a lovely urn shaped pot ie the top curved over but couldn’t dislodge the plant when I wanted to pot it on..I ended up having to smash it.
    I use plastic pots inside pot covers. This adds a bit of weight and tall plants are less easily toppled over. 
  • YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 213
    thanks for all the replies. Wow @Pete.8 thats great. I had a smaller one a few years ago, but it died in the winter. How do you keep yours going? I had mine in a north facing room.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,686
    It's on a small table between 2 sofas.
    My lounge faces south and I have patio doors the entire width so it gets plenty of bright light and a some direct sun during the spring and autumn.

I've never been any good with houseplants previously, but I have several now in the lounge and they seem to love the aspect. I think the underfloor heating suits them too as it's a more gentle heat.
    I started using seaweed extract on the houseplants a couple of years ago during the growing season about once every 2 weeks and that has certainly encouraged a lot of new growth.

I'd love to get more, but the rest of the lounge doesn't get enough light farther back and nor does any other room in the house :(
    I've got a sansevieria black moon in my north-facing kitchen which never gets any sun and that seems happy enough. They're supposed to be almost impossible to kill too.

I bought a little Ming Polyscias about a year ago and that's also doing well as is a Calathea I got earlier this year seems to unfurl new leaves every few days.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 213
    wow your plants look really nice.