Forum home The potting shed

Hints and Tips of Things To Do On A Dreary Day

A while ago we had a thread where urine was taken out of spammers and it ended up being hilarious. 
Anyone up for a similar one but this time on things to do to stop insanity creeping in when the weather is dire?
Well, navel gazing is one but it has limits because the topic isn't very deep.
Will someone start us off please? 
SW SCOTLAND but born in Derbyshire

• pansyfacepansyface Posts: 22,297
    edited November 2022
    Listening to the young lad who has come to service our burglar alarm system try to work out how to flush the loo.

He was an hour late in arriving, due to being caught up in an accident on the M1, and arrived looking a bit harassed. Asked OH if he could use the loo and OH,  thinking it was just a “man thing” directed him to the loo that has an almost non-functioning flush.

The poor soul is in there now still trying to get it to do something. As a woman, I’m not going to get involved.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • UffUff Posts: 3,199
    Oh bugger, my mascara is all smudged now.
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,405
    I get great satisfaction out of making lists! Feel very virtuous while I’m doing them, almost feels like I am achieving something constructive.
    Not so good when I find the lists days, weeks or years later, and realise how few items could actually have been crossed off. Still, provides an opportunity to consolidate everything into a new list!
  • UffUff Posts: 3,199
    Got to ask pansyface, why does your loo have an almost non functioning flush? (There has to be a pun there somewhere)

So you file them away just in case do you Ergates?
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 6,895
    The most important thing to put on any to do list is at least one item (and preferably a few) that you've already done, so you can cross them off immediately.
    1. make list of things to do
    2. review to do list and update any actions completed
    3. eat breakfast
    4. load the dishwasher/wash up breakfast dishes

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
    edited November 2022
    Well, we got the builder to put a new loo in 14 years ago.

He chose one with a fancy button that gives you either a big flush or a half flush. From day one, I found it too stiff to push either button, so I never used it and used one of the other two loos in the house instead.

OH thought it was a nice idea, growing up in semi-arid Africa he has a thing about saving water. (Don’t ask about the sinks left with dirty water in them “for next time” that I had to wean him off 50 years ago.) So he used that one.

I only discovered about a year ago that only the half flush bit now works. And that only grudgingly. Not my problem so I said nothing about it.  

Poor young lad finally emerged.

OH will be going in there after he’s gone to see if it needs “extra work”. 🧐
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 53,942
    OH will be going in there after he’s gone to see if it needs “extra work”. 🧐

Too much information @pansyface :D
    I have one of those dual flush loos, and frankly - they're hopeless. 

@raisingirl said:
    "The most important thing to put on any to do list is at least one item (and preferably a few) that you've already done, so you can cross them off immediately."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that  ;)

I'm currently avoiding hoovering, but uploading CDs to the 'pooter to put on the och aye pod, and hoping it might clear up.
    Forecast says so...and they're always right, aren't they?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,462
    I've got umpteen years worth of Gardeners World.  I'm going through them to cut out the bits I want and sticking the rest in the recycling.  I doubt there will be more than about 10 pages from any issue I actually want.
    Listening to old songs that are still relevant.

This from 1967. 🥴

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ecEMxrdULQ