Forum home Garden design

Path edging

I'd like to build a path through my lawn using membrane underneath, and bark chippings/mulch for the actual path. Any ideas for edging? Cheap is good, but I don't want something that will disintegrate and go into landfill.

• PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,468
    I'd advise you not to buy any cheap plastic edging that comes rolled up, it will be forever trying to recoil into a roll when you try to place it (lesson learned recently!).  Also, blackbirds love bark chippings so be sure to use robust edging or you'll be constantly removing the chips from your lawn!  I'd look for something metallic with integrated pegs like the Everedge system - it's not cheap though!
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• I think I might just use bricks ... might £2-300 worth but will last forever and look nice.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,387
    I used treated gravel boards secured to wooden pegs driven in at intervals. They lasted a reasonably long time.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,468
    Brick would be a better option, choose something that matches or complements your house or other paving in your garden.
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• @hieacedrifter Years ago I had a gravel path with a brick edge next to a lawn it drove me crazy. Always sweeping the gravel off the lawn and the brick edge. It was a soakaway but there was another in the lawn so we filled in the path with bricks saved hours of work
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,301
    I wouldn’t even start with bark chips .The birds * bath* in them ,visiting cats scratch them up and poop in them and if you’re lucky enough to not lose them all over the lawn ,they disintegrate and you have to keep topping up .Think again is my advice for what it’s worth .
  • bcpathome said:
    I wouldn’t even start with bark chips .The birds * bath* in them ,visiting cats scratch them up and poop in them and if you’re lucky enough to not lose them all over the lawn ,they disintegrate and you have to keep topping up .Think again is my advice for what it’s worth .
    Thankyou!
  • I haven’t made any bad experience with bark. My edging are tree branches collected while walking. They can be easily taken out and the overgrowth of lawn can be corrected hassle free. 
    I don’t spend a penny in things for the garden that doesn’t have a natural end of life and integrates into the garden - apart from my greenhouse.  

I my garden.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,686
    I would use reclaimed bricks. You could probably get away with laying on a sharp sand bed if you want to save a bit of money. 
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".