Forum home Fruit & veg

Brown onions for pickling.

bédébédé Posts: 3,073
edited November 2022 in Fruit & veg
Does anyone have any experience of growing pickling onions..  If I could buy pickles I liked, I would.  But I, and my followers, prefer real malt vinegar and long cold maceration.  

The last 3 years we have been unabled to buy these in the local supermarkets.  Are thses a Ukraine victim?

My daughter has just brought me some from Henley market.  But if I remember rightly from my Vegetable Growers Handbook, onions satrt to mature when the days start to shorten.  They should be in the shops by September.  These aare a bit past their best and many are starting to root.  And a fw to rot.

Last year my daughter bought some round shallots - not what I wanted.    But, we work with what we've got.
"Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,296
    I bought a big bottle of malt vinegar last week - about 90p.
    I'm not aware of malt vinegar being in short supply in the UK

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • bédébédé Posts: 3,073
    Onions!  The clue is in the title.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • Try farm shops. The ones around here always have proper pickling onions at this time of year. They also sell locally produced jars of proper pickled onions. 😋 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    Growing pickling onions is very easy, grow any of the brown onions from seed and then plant them out extremely close together, I do about 15 in a clump then 10cm to the next clump, leave them alone until they start to die down and harvest. the exact spacing depends on how big you want your onions and how good your soil is. I find this spacing gives me roughly 2-3cm Ø onions. They will mature slightly faster than onions grown at a decent spacing.