Forum home Tools and techniques

Felco 903 Diamond Sharpener

Does anyone use or can recommend the Felco 903 Diamond Sharpener please?

Apart from keeping my secateurs sharp, I have quite a number of small bonsai tools and some of the sharpening stones are a bit on the big side for this.
Mother Nature don't straight lines, Broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds.

• This is the one I mean:
    Mother Nature don't straight lines, Broken moulds in a grand design, We look a mess but we're doing fine, We're card carrying lifelong members of the Union Of Different Kinds.
  • cmarkrcmarkr Posts: 142
    I have one and have used it to sharpen my felcos, it was pretty easy to use and there are you tube videos showing how as well as on the felco site from memory. I must admit I felt they didn't seem as for at cutting after I used them but I believe that was my technique rather than the sharpener. It's easy to hold etc.
    I've not had need to sharpen my bonsai tools but I imagine it would be easy enough using this tool, though I'm scratching my head at how best to sharpen concave cutter using any tool.
  • Thanks for the help, really appreciated.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,275
    cmarkr said:
     though I'm scratching my head at how best to sharpen concave cutter using any tool.

I just use the fine side of an ordinary medium/fine stone I've had for ages.
    With a little oil on the stone I hold the blade at a 40° (or what I think might be 40°) angle and starting at the blade tip just do small circles and slowly work down the blade to the end. After 2-3 repeats it's really sharp.

It takes me no more than 10 mins to disassemble my Flecos, sharpen and clean them and re-assemble.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete.8 said:
    cmarkr said:
     though I'm scratching my head at how best to sharpen concave cutter using any tool.

I just use the fine side of an ordinary medium/fine stone I've had for ages.
    With a little oil on the stone I hold the blade at a 40° (or what I think might be 40°) angle and starting at the blade tip just do small circles and slowly work down the blade to the end. After 2-3 repeats it's really sharp.

It takes me no more than 10 mins to disassemble my Flecos, sharpen and clean them and re-assemble.
    Thanks for the reply, really appreciate the help.
  • I've just purchased this yesterday, should arrive within the next couple of days - I'll let you know how it goes on my secateurs! I Googled for hours trying to find something and this was the best I could come up with - it had mixed reviews!
  • Thank you, I'll look forward to that. Hope it arrives on time.