Forum home Wildlife gardening

Can I plant trees in woodland?

• rafuk73rafuk73 Posts: 68
    You don't want them because they are invasive. Why would you want to inflict them on someone else, including the local authority  who would then have to pay to get rid? Just dig them up, chop them up and put them in the green waste recycling bin.
    No one wants to inflict them on anyone. Just come down, bones.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,966
    You don't want them because they are invasive. Why would you want to inflict them on someone else, including the local authority  who would then have to pay to get rid? Just dig them up, chop them up and put them in the green waste recycling bin.

Yes, the OP has got the point.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    rafuk73 said:
    You definitely mustn't plant anything on land that you don't own.  It may cause a problem with how the habitat is being managed for wildlife etc.  Years ago people did that with rhododendron and now it's a real real problem.  And we don't want you getting into trouble either do we?  ;)

What about advertising them free or to give away on Gumtree or Ebay or similar ... do you know the Nextdoor website?  It's split into local areas and you can offer stuff you don't need ... lots of gardeners use it.   :) 

https://nextdoor.co.uk/for_sale_and_free/?init_source=more_menu
    Many thanks for your suggestion to put an advert on Gumtree. Somebody collected them now.
    Great … you’re happy and they’re happy and the laurels have a new home. Everybody’s happy 😃 👍 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

edited October 2022
    Fire said:
    blah blah blah

Yes, the OP has got the point.

@Fire, don't you think that the words used by fidgetbones were quite harsh, especially using words such as"inflict" turning me into almost a plant terrorist or something. I had ten plants and did not want to kill them, so I asked the forum for a piece of advice. I would never plant them anywhere without a permission, that's why I asked the forum what I should do. If I wanted to plant them somewhere in woodlands, I would not come to this forum for piece of advise. After putting an advert on gumtree I have given them away within half an hour. Several people contacted me to get these plants, so it looks like cherry laurels are quite popular and people want cherry laurels "inflicted" on them.
  • In previous jobs I’ve had to spend 6 figure sums just to try and control cherry Laurel in native woodland. They are an invasive species. Too invasive for your garden so you want to plant them in a woodland that belongs to someone else? These should be included on the banned list for the ecological harm they cause. 
    Wtf?
  • FireFire Posts: 18,966
    edited October 2022

@Fire, don't you think that the words used by fidgetbones were quite harsh, especially using words such as"inflict" turning me into almost a plant terrorist or something. I had ten plants and did not want to kill them, so I asked the forum for a piece of advice.

Yes, tempers run high and manners seem to leave the building. Poor newbies rock up the forum and get shouted at, as if they have been part of a long and ongoing conversation; which they have not. A lot of new arrivals feel that random people are ganging up on them for asking a perfectly reasonable question that a lot of people will be wondering about. We get the enquiry about where to plant out unwanted plants quite often.

I just don't want to threw away these beautiful plants

What is the problem with the group? Tribalism, lack of social skills, the failure to understand that everyone is not yourself and has a range of different experiences? Anonymous internet anger gone sideways? I don't know, but it's perennial and endemic. Maybe the forum is mostly a load of grumpy old people (like me).

But whatever it is, you are welcome Rafuk. Yours is an interesting question. I'm sorry you got it in the neck. I hope you return and don't throw in the towel.  Asking is good, questions are good, we all live to learn.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    edited October 2022
    Accept the helpful stuff … ignore the folk who are having a bad day or who simply have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.  We can all be a bit preachy from time to time on matters we feel deeply about.  I try to keep that sort of stuff for established members who know that my heart is in the right place, but I expect I sometimes get it wrong too … if I do I try to apologise 

You’ve found a solution to your problem so all’s well … and welcome to the forum 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Glad the OP has managed to find a good home for the Laurels - pays to ask the question and find possible solutions you may not have originally considered.
    To echo @Dovefromabove -all's well that ends well  :)
  • McRazzMcRazz Posts: 418
    rafuk73 said:
    Hi, 

I have a dozen of young cherry laurels and want to get rid of them to give way for less invasive plants. I asked people around and no one wants my cherry laurels. Can I plant them in the wood nearby, I think it's a council property, or do I need a permission? I just don't want to threw away these beautiful plants
    Hi Rafuk73,

Its nice sentiment but Prunus Laurocerasus (Cherry Laurel) is very damaging ecologically so please don't plant it in any woodland (indeed i'd advise against planting it anywhere due to its invasive characteristics).

You may have a local wildlife group that do work in your nearby woodlands so if you're interested in helping out they often need volunteers. Mine operate nearly weekly and do a variety of fun and interesting tasks, planting natives suited to the local habitat being one. Any guesses what the other recent one was? removing Prunus Laurocerasus...