Forum home The potting shed

Strange request from delivery courier.

We've just had a package delivered by courier.  He asked if I would hold it while he took a photo, which is not unusual.  What was unusual was that he asked me to turn it over to hide the address.  He then proceeded to take a close up photo of the package which included nothing other than the package.  When I asked him why he said he'd been in trouble for taking a photo of the address label and told it was against Data Protection rules.
What possible use could a photo of a plain grey wrapper be if we claimed not to have received the package?

• None of the methods of delivery proof are ultimately infallible. 
    If you've posed for a pic with a parcel in your hand then whilst it isn't 100% proof, it's pretty close to showing it was delivered to you.

I wonder where the DPA comes into it though? It could be something to do with it being his personal phone and not the companies, but not sure at all.
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 1,273
    I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of having my photo taken by couriers, and try to hold the parcel away from me etc.
    But yesterday's courier was too quick. He was right at the door and handed me the parcel, taking the photo as he did so.
    I think I'll simply not answer the door in future, then they'll leave it and take it's photo on the mat.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,110
    Here they usually pop the package down on the floor just inside the open door to take the picture. I think the fact that the door is open is enough to show that someone took it in and it wasn't just left outside. I never noticed whether it's label-side-up or not.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • izzy8izzy8 Posts: 147
    I think that delivery drivers have to tick boxes. Rather funny that my 70yr+ hubby has to show proof when he receives a bottle of alcohol, but you may find one awkward customer could complain that they were'nt asked. Hence the checks.
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 1,273
    JennyJ said:
    Here they usually pop the package down on the floor just inside the open door to take the picture. I think the fact that the door is open is enough to show that someone took it in and it wasn't just left outside. I never noticed whether it's label-side-up or not.
    That seems a much more courteous method @JennyJ . I expect it's down to how the couriers are instructed by the company
    I'll ask them to do that if it happens again or if I'm outside when they deliver, as I often am.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,353
    Re that @izzy8- you've no idea of the grief people get from the 'high heid yins' if they're not asking the question  :|
    At least your courier didn't take the photo inside his own vehicle and claim that it was delivered, like the one I had recently.  I'd coincidentally just seen the email, and I'd looked everywhere for the parcel [including the safe place it was to be left ] so I wasn't amused. When he then came to the door with it, I got some story about his phone/machine not working- yet he'd still taken a photo....
    He rang the doorbell, and he'd already got half way down the path by the time I opened the door - about 3 seconds after he rang it, so if I hadn't heard him, he'd just have dumped it there instead of leaving it where he was meant to.
    Etsi - which was Hermes, so unsurprising. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,624
    Never had a courier include my face in the picture. Usually they put the parcel on the mat just inside the front door, so occasionally my feet might appear. 
    I find the best thing to do is to open the door, stand well back and stay behind the door. If you keep your hands on the door handle, it would be impossible for them to do other than put it down and photograph it on the mat.
  • UffUff Posts: 3,199
    I've just assumed that they take a pic of the parcel in my hands. Do you think it's a full photo Woodgreen?
    SW SCOTLAND but born in Derbyshire
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,741
    JennyJ said:

I'd have no problem with that at all.  In this instance though the picture literally only showed the back of the package - I could see it on his phone.  As least one of the package on the floor is likely to show something identifiable as being that property.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 86,965
    Our delivery folk take a pic of the package on the doormat, sometimes with my feet. 👍 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.