Forum home Tools and techniques

Petrol garden tools

Do you think petrol garden tools, including mowers and blowers, should be banned in the UK including their use by local authorities and contractors?

Petrol garden tools 20 votes

yes - ban all
5% 1 vote
yes - blowers
10% 2 votes
yes - phased ban
15% 3 votes
no - do not ban all
70% 14 votes
no - do not ban blowers
0% 0 votes

• wild edgeswild edges Posts: 9,931
    This is an interesting first post. It might be worth introducing yourself and letting people know what your poll is in aid of. There's no viable alternative to petrol tools in many cases so perhaps a bit more explanation would help.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,569
    maybe you're suggesting that £billions of perfectly usable tools , both domestic and commercial should be dumped in landfill?
    And what about the vehicles which transport these tools? 
    How much of a motorway siding could be cut with an electric mower before needing a new battery?
    Devon.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,614
    Very good points Hosta 
  • rjb2rjb2 Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding
    I didn't suggest that - I'm simply asking for opinions
    From what you're saying, 'phase out' might be the option you'd choose?
    Regards

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 9,613
    I wouldn't use petrol-driven tools myself because I have a small garden so there's not need, and they're heavy in any case, but for people with large gardens or commercial operators who spend many hours at a time mowing, doing hedges etc away from mains power there's not much of an alternative without keeping multiple expensive batteries charged. Besides, if I understand correctly, batteries aren't very environmentally friendly if you take into account whole life including mining the components and disposing of them when they're no use any more.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,476
    Until there is a fully practical alternative then petrol engines in any device should not be banned.  I think it will be many years before battery operation in commercial environments is practical.  I wonder where the materials will come from to manufacture millions, possibly billions, of additional batteries.
  • As an individual who carries out horticultural duties at local government level I can say that minimizing the use of petrol powered equipment is most welcome but cannot be completely removed all together until a suitable alternative has been developed. Battery powered equipment has come a long way but still has a long way to go before it can be matched to it's petrol counterparts. Some valid comments have been made already regarding mining, expensive batteries etc so I won't pass comment on this. Myself has used more manual tools like hedge shears, lawn edging shears, secateurs, loppers, silky saws, sweeping brushes and also I carry a battery grass strimmer and chainsaw onboard my van but I still need the likes of petrol lawn mowers and a long reach hedge trimmer for my work considering I manage green flag parks and open spaces.

It's about balance and resilience in the gardener, yes battery tools have the uses like I find but cannot be solely relied on especially at trade level. I will add... I don't use petrol leaf blowers as I find them one of the most pointless tools to be designed, for me it's good old raking, sweeping and to work smart without making such mess in the first place. Others may not agree but I'm not here to agree nor disagree I'm just passing comment and this is based on my opinion alone. 🙏☮️🌿