Forum home Wildlife gardening

Nettle question

Good morning. I have nettles growing in the wrong place like pots. Would they survive if I transplant them into the garden? I know that some butterflies nest in them. I also happen to think that they are pretty. 

Luxembourg

• wild edgeswild edges Posts: 9,915
    Nettles grow where there's a of of nitrogen. Old compost heaps, under bird feeders, or anywhere that is regularly used as an alfresco urinal (ever notice how they grow well around roadside laybys and around the back of pubs?). Transplant then where you dump grass clippings and they'll thrive. Otherwise you may need some fresh manure to help them along.
    Lots of nice plants in the lamium family if you like the nettle look too.

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • coccinellacoccinella Posts: 1,007
    @wild edges thank you. Interesting about the urinal spots  :D. I think I have a place where they should feel welcome. I will try and plant them with the compost of the pot. I have a lot of lamium in the garden but the nettle has to go where I don't thread often. 

Luxembourg
  • They grow everywhere and anywhere, I don't think you'll have any problems! It's the root system you need to be careful with, so concentrate on moving all that over. They die off in Winter, so if you do it now don't worry about that.  They'll be back in Spring (Or move them in Spring).
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 86,088
    The roots are a good 'gamboge yellow'  :)

The farmer near here who is an expert in 're-wilding' says that he cuts half of his nettles back in July because the Tortoiseshell and Peacock butterflies will only use young nettles to lay their eggs on ... this way there's plenty of young nettles for the newer butterflies to use.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nick615nick615 Posts: 1,460
    Nettle 'Tea' is good nutrition for things like runner beans.
  • coccinellacoccinella Posts: 1,007
    Follow up: the nettles I transplanted from sunny to shade have all taken! Something is munching on their leaves too. Happy. 
    Thank you guys.

Luxembourg