Forum home Plants

What do I have here?

2»

• Sorry but i thought I had helped you about this recently.
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/comment/2550542#Comment_2550542

To confirm.....
    1. Callicarpa...with purple berry.
    2. Leycesteria.
    As young plants the they look nothing like they do when mature.
    Green stems are hollow.
    Any good nurseryman should tell instantly what it is.
    Ah, thanks @Silver surfer, I hadn't seen your comments on that other thread. That's so helpful. I'm sure I have the honeysuckle, but now have real doubts if I have any kind of Callicarpa. I'll have to go out tomorrow and have a proper look. 
    Err ..excuse me but your first pic above which shows a single small purple berry is as already mentioned CALLICARPA!
    Don't know what other reassurance I can give you.
    Silver Surfer, I appreciate your help, but if I want to check to be certain of what I have in my garden then that's up to me, isn't it? Doesn't mean I'm doubting or dismissing what you've said. And the slightly school-marmish tone isn't appreciated. I may be a novice gardener who needs advice from time to time, but I'm also an adult and far from stupid.
    It's knowing what to do with things that counts - Robert Frost
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,472
    I think Callicarpa always looks great at a Garden Centre but getting it to berry from there onwards is impossible. Maybe my soil is just too heavy.

Apparently you need more than one to get good pollination and good berries. I have four, grown from seed so they're not really fully grown yet so I can't say whether it works.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,647
    Saw them for sale locally only the other day. Lots of people seemed interested. I think we are too far north here. Obviously loves the sun good drainage and a longer growing season.
    I have worked as a Gardener for 24 years. My latest garden is a new build garden on heavy clay.
    Mine have a few berries even though they're still young, and I'm a bit further north than you @GardenerSuze. I do have the good drainage though.

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,647
    @JennyJ Thankyou. I garden on clay so that maybe the problem too. The berries are really beautiful.
    I have worked as a Gardener for 24 years. My latest garden is a new build garden on heavy clay.
    Tiny though, only about 5mm diameter. The jury is still out as to whether I'll keep them in the long term.