Forum home The potting shed

Disappointed with GW 'best of' reviews

I am always pleased to see items reviewed in Gardeners World, but am so often disappointed with the quality of the research. The prices quoted are often incorrect or only apply to one very specific size/style combination (usually very small or large), do not include delivery and the reviews of the item often state defects on the product again for example the Dunlop gardening clogs have many reviewers saying they split. Any know where to find good reviews of products?

• B3B3 Posts: 27,327
    Have you tried Which? I don't subscribe to Gardening Which? but their main site has good quality reviews. You need to be a member to get full information, though.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,686
    The reviews in the GW magazine are rubbish. There seems to be no scientific testing just bland opinion forming and no weighting of the results. By contrast, Gardening Which reviews are excellent. Post your request here and folk, like me, who are subscribers can help you out with access to their recommendations. 

Fred’s Shed (or something akin to that) is another excellent review site.
    Rutland, England
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,303
    I agree - Fred's Shed has some excellent reviews.
    It's not the easiest site to navigate, but there' a lot of useful info there and having spoken with Fred on one occasion I found him to be very friendly and helpful.

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/homepage.htm

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    edited October 2022
    We were looking for a microwave,I signed up for a couple of months of "which?" also had an hour consult with a solicitor from there, regarding a "garden fence" (neighbour issue) Dont look at checkatrade, they don't print negative reviews,and the companies on pay an annual subscription. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,327
    I had serious problems with threats from a phone company. I mentioned that I was a Which? member and was going to use their legal advisors. They backed off immediately and a cheque for a considerable sum mysteriously appeared in the post. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    B3, how lovely!!nearish neighbours had new door, cladding recently, now soffits,etc bloke (looking just out of nappies!) Putting "membrane" waterproofing?? BEHIND said cladding, would have thought that would be done first. We've had several heavy thundery showers, while it's been left open to the elements. Said company very well known for (very bad double glazing) installation!!!
  • thanks everyone both for tips and backup - nice to know it's not just me!!
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    For plants, I do consult the RHS plant finder but with a high degree of scepticism. They seem to just parrot breeder’s info and often get their facts wrong, taking no account of real garden conditions. I also endorse Which for many garden products. The best and most honest reviews for anything gardening related and more are on this forum. Just ask!
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,422
    I'd ask real people every time. You get actual experience generally, though there are a few that Google it and post some rubbish. You can generally sort the real from the rubbish though.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,957
    I agree that the GW product reviews are useless.  They really aren't reviews at all, just comments.