Forum home Garden design

How to soften impact of newly added garden cabin

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    First off the cabin would be much less obtrusive if painted a dark colour - black would look excellent. I would plant a broad spreading tree to the left of it, something that would fill out the gap with its canopy. 

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • Ivy2Ivy2 Posts: 73
    Wow. That's a great image @Loxley

What sort of tree would work in that space to create that effect?

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,630
    edited October 2022
    That does look good @Loxley Perhaps a muliti stemmed Amelanchier they can be pruned. Or a shrub where the crown can be lifted.  Not evergreen but the shapes of the branches will still look good in winter. There are already lots of evergreens so something different would work well with the grasses.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    A couple of trees spring to mind having seen them fairly recently; Malus 'Indian Magic', Crataegus persimilis 'Prunifolia.'
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • Ivy2Ivy2 Posts: 73
    Thanks @Loxley. The cabin is about 2.5 meters in height. Do you think I could raise the crown on those two choices? I.e. remove the lower branches as required.

Thanks
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,482
    edited October 2022
    Can I ask how you are heating it in winter? A mate of mine is planning a garden cabin/office but is unsure how to heat it
  • FireFire Posts: 18,965
    Can I ask how you are heating it in winter? A mate of mine is planning a garden cabin/office but is unsure how to heat it

@LeadFarmer I use a light, infrared wall panel. It's important to get one big enough for the space. Not intrusive; it's efficient, heats the person not the space, long guarantee. You can get them as mirrors or submit a picture you'd like to print on to it, to hang it as a picture on the wall.

• WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 1,273
    Loxley said:
    A couple of trees spring to mind having seen them fairly recently; Malus 'Indian Magic', Crataegus persimilis 'Prunifolia.'
    I have grown the crataegus, and must warn that it has very long, very vicious thorns. I used to dread having to remove bits or branches as I was always hurt by these thorns. Lovely in an open space, but maybe not where you may need to trim it or work beneath it.
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,482
    Fire said:

@LeadFarmer I use a light, infrared wall panel. It's important to get one big enough for the space. Not intrusive; it's efficient, heats the person not the space, long guarantee. You can get them as mirrors or submit a picture you'd like to print on to it, to hang it as a picture on the wall.

Thanks, not heard of this before. So I assume you just hang one next to wear you sit to feel the warmth, or do you have a few around the walls?
  • FireFire Posts: 18,965
    I just have one and in a small-ish space. I have one on feet, but there are wall brackets attached too. It's light and easy to move. You just plug it in (like an oil heater), so no electricians needed. You could professionally wire it in if you wanted one in the bathroom.