Forum home Problem solving

Miscanthus silberspinne

I planted three of these nearly 18 months ago and they haven't flowered yet. I've seen that a possible reason could be too much nitrogen, but this isn't the case. They're in a good position and healthy, but no sign of flowers. The nursery I bought them from hasn't been any help - does anyone have any ideas? 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,509
    Looks like you need to be more patient, apparently time to maturity (and flowering) is 2 to 5 years.
  • Thanks, I didn't know that.  I planted panicum rehbraun at the same time and they've flowered both years, I've been so disappointed with the silberspinne.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,310
    @WiltshireGardener I grew M Morning Light some years ago, it never managed more than a few flowers. Looking back it was only a small plant and it was slow growing.

Today I grow M Flamingo and M kleine fontane both are flowering really well. With all grasses you need a generous chunk to get started! Small plants are slow to flower. Also the full heat of the sun is necessary for good flowering.

I think your grass is variegated as is M Morning Light don't know if that affects flowering?  Some variegated Iris are shy to flower but perhaps nothing to do with it?

The process of making a garden is like a river running through your life.
    The place stays the same but the water, even in the stillest days always moves.
    Monty Don.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,790
    edited 23 September
    My Miscanthus 'Malepartus' took 2 or 3 of years to flower well. On the other hand, a Miscanthus 'Adagio' from Lidl has flowers all over in its first year, although it is still a very small plant! Suspect the newer varieties are better performers.

Miscanthus nepalensis flowers spectacularly from a young age, vigorous but is shorter lived than M. sinensis varieties.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,310
    There was a wonderful lady on GW yesterday I believe she lived in Devon. She mentioned that M Morning Light was late flowering. I wonder if the length of the growing season affects flowering. Perhaps further north it isn't long enough.
    The process of making a garden is like a river running through your life.
    The place stays the same but the water, even in the stillest days always moves.
    Monty Don.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,181
    M. Morning light does not flower at all in northern climes.
    Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go