Forum home Problem solving

Box Tree Caterpillar

Just spotted what must be Box Tree Caterpillar in my garden. I have two mature, shaped box bushes flanking the front door. Any thoughts on whether it’s worth trying to control it, or whether to accept moving to Box alternatives?

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,568
    You can buy nematodes, but quite honestly l would get rid of the plants. I speak from personal experience. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,833
    I echo AnniD's experience. I had lots of box balls and dwarf hedges - all affected so I've got rid of the majority. No way could I either afford or want to keep spraying it all. I was really gutted as I loved my big ten year old box balls in terracotta pots, lovingly nurtured each year but nothing stays the same in gardening, you have to accept it and move on.
  • Ross9YRoss9Y Posts: 12
    Thanks Both, I don’t want to start a long losing battle, but wanted to check others experience first.
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 420
    edited 23 September
    Search for my thread earlier this year.

I have been completely free this year (touch wood).  Please don't give up without a fight.  Keep looking, keep squishing,.  Spaying is cheaper than new plants.  And much better than an empty space.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,226
    Box  tree moths have spread North and are now being caught regularly in the midlands. I have caught two beautiful looking specimens this year myself. I don't have any box hedging, and as far as I know, neither do my neighbours.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,485
    edited 23 September
    My son, who lives in France, has quite a bit of box hedging. The moth arrived and it looked awful. He asked advice from a professional gardener and was advised to spray it at regular intervals in spring. It worked! The hedge has regrown, apart from a couple of very badly eaten bits. I don't know what the spray was, it mentioned box moth and he bought it in a garden centre.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,568
    There are several products available and as @Busy-Lizzie says, some are available in garden centres.
    It just depends on how much box you have and how prepared you are to keep on top of it.
    Personally l think life's too short, but if you're prepared to put in the work... :)

https://jamestodman.com/blog/five-ways-to-beat-the-box-tree-caterpillar/
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,790
    Sigh... they found me this year too. I would recommend Xen-tari bological control, but it's expensive and frankly, I don't like my box balls that much. 
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 420
    AnniD said:
    Yes.

The forum seardh facility is not the best.  But sometimes, usually of course common and interesting problems, get repeats.