Forum home Plants

Planting a pine in a raised flower bed, but want keep it small

Hello,

I would like to plant a pine tree, possibly a stone pine in a raised flower bed. I would ideally like to keep it to 3 - 4 metres height and not let it grow into a giant. Is there anyway I could plant it in the ground in a pot to restrict its size. I have seen there is a dwarf mountain pine but they are extremely slow growing and I will have to wait years for a decent sized tree which is something I dont really want to do. 

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Antony

• pansyfacepansyface Posts: 22,741
    There are plants that grow quickly to 4 metres and stop at that height - like bamboo.

There are plants that grow slowly to 4 metres and stop at that height - like apple trees.

I know of no pine tree that will do what you want it to do. A pine tree that you buy at 1 centimetre will grow slowly to 30 metres. A pine tree that you buy at 1 metre will grow slowly to 30 metres. A pine tree that you buy at 2 metres will grow slowly to 30 metres. 

Wrong plant. Putting its feet in a bucket won’t stop it growing slowly to 30 metres. It will just make it a very very unhappy tree.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.