Forum home The potting shed

Strikes

How's it all going to end with all these strikes we've got the railways, Royal mail, British gas, bt and that's just the big names. While I agree money is tight where is it going to come from to increase everyone's pay 

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,163
    Best not to start another political 'rant'?
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,563
    Oh damn. You are probably right, @nick615 but I do love a political argument . This probably isn't the time or place, either. But I just love a (verbal) scrap.....
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,689

The strikes are just another example of how The British Empire is crumbling.

Here, from Wikipedia, is a list of contributory factors relating to the crumbling of what had been the Roman empire. How many of them ring a bell?

A recent synthesis gives four decisive turns of events in the transformation from the height of the empire to the early Middle Ages:

• The Antonine Plague that ended a long period of demographic and economic expansion, weakening but not toppling the empire.
    • The Crisis of the Third Century, in which climatic change, renewed pandemic disease, and internal and external political instability led to the near-collapse of the imperial system. Its reconstitution included a new basis for the currency, an expanded professional government apparatus, emperors further distanced from their people, and, shortly, a proselytizing, exclusive religion that anticipated the imminent end of the world.
    • The military and political failure of the West, in which mass migration from the Eurasian steppe overcame and dismembered the western part of an internally-weakened empire. The eastern empire rebuilt itself again and began the reconquest of the West.
    Routes taken by barbarian invaders of the Roman Empire during the Migration Period
    • In the lands around the Mediterranean the Late Antique Little Ice Age and the Plague of Justinian created one of the worst environmental cataclysms in recorded history. The imperial system crumbled in the next couple of generations and then lost vast territories to the armies of Islam, a new proselytizing, exclusive religion that also looked forward to an imminent end time. The diminished and impoverished Byzantine rump state survived amid perpetual strife between and among the followers of Christianity and Islam.[17]

The loss of centralized political control over the West, and the lessened power of the East, are universally agreed, but the theme of decline has been taken to cover a much wider time span than the hundred years from 376. For Cassius Dio, the accession of the emperor Commodus in 180 CE marked the descent "from a kingdom of gold to one of rust and iron".[

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,497
    pansyface said:

The strikes are just another example of how The British Empire is crumbling. …

Well, that’s a relief … I had rather thought .., and hoped .., that all thoughts of a British Empire had crumbled several generations ago … 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,554
    edited 19 September
    It's not just in England. France has strikes too. In September there are strikes involving hospital workers, buses, trains, air traffic controllers, swimming pool workers and workers in child nurseries. In the summer the bin men and Post Office workers held strikes. There is a website which tells you who is on strike.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,689
    Well, I meant crumbling in the sense that the Roman empire, as spoken of in the history books, crumbled quickly enough but the last vestiges of its power and identity continued to decline well into the Middle Ages. In a way, it’s still crumbling - how many children learn Latin in school these days?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,275
    mac12 said:
    How's it all going to end with all these strikes we've got the railways, Royal mail, British gas, bt and that's just the big names. While I agree money is tight where is it going to come from to increase everyone's pay 
    It's increasingly easy to become a billionaire recently. Just saying...

Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,012
    wouldn't it be easier if French air traffic control told us when they're NOT on strike? 
    Devon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,554
    Yes, for us, but more fun for them not to tell us.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,275
    Let's not forget that Boris promised us that we were building back better into a levelled-up high-wage economy.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.