Forum home Problem solving

Hydrangea "Burning Hot"

Seeking some advice on what to do next with this hydrangea. It's relatively new and has developed this mildew or fungal infection. We've tried spraying with Bicarb mixture but with no success. Can we save it or is it destined for the bin... There also seems to be more plants affected by something similar... any info or feedback would be most appreciated 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,311
    @briandalton So many plants have suffered from mildew this summer due to the heat. Hydrangas like to grow in a cool spot so next to a wall is probably not a good idea. There is little you can do this year other than check to see if it is pot bound in which case the roots won't be able to take up moisture. It will need a larger pot at some point or planting in the ground.I would clear away all the leaves as they fall.
    The process of making a garden is like a river running through your life.
    The place stays the same but the water, even in the stillest days always moves.
    Monty Don.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,322
    I agree - many of my plants have got mildew over the last week.
    No need (or point) in spraying and as Suze has said above just dispose of the leaves when they fall.
    The new foliage next Spring will be unaffected.
    It's just when the weather is right, the mildew spores (that are in the air all the time) get hold and cause the damage.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,395
    The compost in your pot looks a bit low which means there's been reduced availability of water, resulting in stress, followed by scorching and mildew.  I'd repot your plant now in a larger pot, using an ericaceous soil based compost and place it in a shaded, sheltered location, making sure that the soil is moist but not waterlogged.  Ideally, it will fare better in the ground.
  • Thanks to you all for the feedback, the plant in question is quite a young plant and will be potted on in the spring. Seems like we don't like our summers too hot..!!! Still it's something we may have to get used to... thanks again
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,368
    Hydrangeas don't like being in pots, so if you can't plant it in the ground somewhere shady, make sure you keep the pot in the shade.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.