Forum home Plants

Tulip bulbs - do you always follow the recommended time to plant in November?

2»

• Thank you @borgadr, I may be over thinking things!  I'll leave them in the garage as I have done before, but not for so long!
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• I have kept them in a dark cool shed for 6 to 8 weeks before planting never had problems with them shooting.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • Thank you @GardenerSuze.  By the way, I grew some Narcissus sailboat last year, they are a lovely variety, enjoy them!
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.

• Usually December by the time I plant them. I read they're ok in pots, mine are always in pots because we're on clay
     My neighbour bought tulips last August 2021, told me they must then be OK to plant them.she was unaware of tulip fire. We've never had tomato or potato blight here,my grandkids other grandparents are just 30 miles away,in the same county,and gave up growing them for this reason.
  • Another vote here for N. Sailboat … just completely beautiful 😍 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,501
    Sailboat is lovely but in my experience it does not naturalise well; disappears after a year or two so have never planted it again.  I like them to come back!
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • borgadrborgadr Posts: 709
    I find there's one great advantage to November tulip planting in pots. That's that exactly at the moment I'm removing the summer tender plants (cosmos, dahlias, cannas, zinnias..etc) I can then plant tulips into the same pots. Then in late May when the tulips have finished is exactly the time to plant up the tender plants again.
  • borgadr, what do you do with the cannas and dahlias once you have taken them out of these pots you put the tulips in?
  • @Plantminded Sorry only just read your post. Last week guess what I purchased and planted N Sailboat!
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • borgadrborgadr Posts: 709
    borgadr, what do you do with the cannas and dahlias once you have taken them out of these pots you put the tulips in?
    I store them in plastic pots in multi-purpose compost in the greenhouse over winter and into spring