Forum home Tools and techniques

Lawn Grass Identification

Hi,

I wonder if you be able to help identify a grass type I have in patches in my lawn please - see attached photo.

I don’t know if it is considered to be a weed grass or just a “normal” one.

Many thanks if you are able to help.

• I just realised I have posted this in the wrong forum, it should have been "Problem Solving".....but hopefully someone can help anyway.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,417
    Don't worry where you post, most people look at "Recent discussions" where all the new posts show up.
    I have patches of coarse grass like that in my lawn. Now and again I pull some out but generally I'm not too bothered about it. My grass isn't ever going to be a perfect uniform lawn - it's old so there are lots of different types of grass (and other things) in it.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,299
    Grass is grass isn’t it ? Unless you are growing a bowling green I suppose .Once it’s mowed it will all look uniform I suspect.
  • MrMowMrMow Posts: 158
    And the above post is exactly why I left , grass is grass pmsl at  you.

I never knew retirement would be so busy. :smile:

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,454
    I am no lawn expert, but it just looks like a "grass " to me. There are some experts on this forum who may be able to identify the exact variety for you if they come across this thread.

As @JennyJ says the majority of ordinary lawns are made up of a variety of different fescues which help with the toughness of it ( for want of a better description ). If you want a lawn for children to play football on, as opposed to something that looks like a carpet, you would choose the appropriate mix.

There are various ways to remove/ reduce coarser leaved grass if you really want to.
     https://www.lawnweedexpert.co.uk/news/post/coarse-grass-in-lawn

Hope this is of some help  :)
  • bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,299
    I don’t know what pmsl means but it sounds rude .Just because I’m not a raving nut case about types of grass .I actually have a life ,however short my illness may make it .
    Raspberries to you cock