Forum home The potting shed

Are you worried about energy prices?

• KT53KT53 Posts: 8,944
    I try not to worry about things I can't control, such as prices.  I will do what I can to mitigate the increases.  Maybe turn the heating down a degree or two when it does get colder (just a pity we can't store up the heat from the summer and use it in winter).
    We are in the fortunate position of not being stretched financially.
  • KT53 said:
     (just a pity we can't store up the heat from the summer and use it in winter).
    I always think that! Such unwanted (for me anyway) heat just going to waste in the summer, if only we could bottle it!
    They look interesting @Fire I've not seen them before, I like the mirror idea.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,937
    KT53 said:
    just a pity we can't store up the heat from the summer and use it in winter.
    Well, the earth itself holds heat well and there are inventive ways of accessing that heat.
    It's ok discussing hi-tech methods of heating, but someone that is unemployed living in a council house on £74 a week will think you are mad.

It's not an viable option for them, then. For me an infrared panel was been useful. I would say it's an equivalent of perhaps a portable oil electric heater (on wheels, type thing). I used to have one of those in the loft and move it to the shed but so heavy to get it up the ladder and down the stairs and unwieldy to carry. In a small space like the loft it got in the way.

Some details here on the energy usage/efficiency of infrared.

The tech is not new at all (like heat pump tech is not new) but the designs are new - hung as pictures on wall, mirrors, ceiling panels; good for small spaces that need unobtrusive heat sources. Mine came with a five year warranty and is said to be good for 30 years of use. Lots of claims are made for  infrared 'hyper eco efficiency'  and I couldn't really speak to that. I would ignore the hype and look the stats.

With just me in the house it does seem crazy to heat the whole place. I turn down two of the radiators. I have had lodgers and then using all five radiators makes more sense. I wouldn't lightly follow the advice to 'turn off' radiators completely as walls can get damp and mould becomes a problem, certainly in older, brick properties; although, again, I can imagine a lot of people will be turning off radiators this winter, just to get through.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,374
    edited August 2022
    Surely it makes much more sense to keep all the radiators on but at a lower level to maintain a certain level of comfort. Otherwise you get cold air in from a colder room every time you open the door. A cold house takes a lot more energy to warm up than one that's kept evenly warm, even at much lower level.

Our converted loft is so well insulated it's often the warmest room in the house so insulation certainly pays.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
    Lizzie27 said:
    Surely it makes much more sense to keep all the radiators on but at a lower level to maintain a certain level of comfort. Otherwise you get cold air in from a colder room every time you open the door. A cold house takes a lot more energy to warm up than one that's kept evenly warm, even at much lower level.
    I think I agree. There was an extensive discussion of this last year here - I found it an interesting thread.

I've seen reminders for people to send in meter readings to their energy companies (if appropriate re central heating), as tariffs will be changing over the next few months - for your own records, if nothing else.
  • It’ll be interesting to hear how we all get on in the coming months I didn’t realise my post would cause such a big discussion with lots of help and advice from all you lovely people! 
    edited August 2022
    Apologies to Astrania and others - discussion of heaters was too off topic and not useful for those worrying about covering winter energy costs. x
  • Fire said:
    Apologies to Astrania and others - discussion of heaters was too off topic and not useful for those worrying about covering winter energy costs. x
    I wasn't aware of them. Wouldn't likely work in current living arrangements but am glad you raised it for if as and when I do move.
    Kindness is always the right choice.