Forum home The potting shed

Are you worried about energy prices?

• JennyJ said:
    Ah. I see. I hardly ever shop in M&S so no idea what they charge for stuff.
    M&S jobs are very popular as M&S pays good salaries. Compare to John Lewis that pay less than a postman beginner. 

If you like avocados, M&S are the only ones that we buy and are worth the money. 

I my garden.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,007
    I know @pansyface but the UK is one of the 7 richest countries in the world and should do better on both sides of the political divide to make life better for everyone and that means housing stock, health care, education for all.   It will save money in the long run.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire Posts: 18,937
    carbon neutral regulations for new builds are the way to go ...[in] Flemish Belgium they have to be almost carbon neutral and may not be heated with fossil fuels.

Yes, enough to us weep. The UK is 50 years behind the curve.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,716
    Lyn,my neighbour does 250 miles a week to and from work,in a week,then shopping, visiting and shopping for elderly mother, visiting daughter, that would be around 70 mile round trip. He sold us his diesel astra Estate because he said it was too expensive to run. This is his second electric car,first one battery gave up,after a couple of years. He often uses charging points away from home,as well.
  • I work from home 3 days a week and I've always refused to put the heating on during the day. It's really tough when you just sit still all day. I have 2 or 3 pairs of trousers on, 2 socks, 3 tops, hot water bottle, slippers, fingerless gloves and sometimes a scarf and hat if it's really bad! And that's in a new build.
    I'm worried about these threats of black outs I keep reading about, should I be stockpiling torches?
  • I find it better to heat your actual body ( extra layers of clothing, the little "heat"sacks, hot water bottle ) than to heat the surrounding air.  Quicker result and probably cheaper too.
    As for power cuts, especially at night, it's always a good idea to keep a torch handy :)
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,839
    The trouble with not heating your house during the long winter months is that it gets damp I think that the coal fires of years ago circulated the air venting up the chimney not the done thing today I know carbon and all that, I'm hoping for a mild winter.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,937
    I've mentioned in other threads about infrared panels. They are good at 'heating the body' too rather than the space. I have one for my loft, which has no other heating. I get very toasty fast with a thin, light wall panel, which works well under the eaves, wth restricted space and a ladder to climb. (not heavy oil heaters). You need to be sure to get the right size and placement in a room. (Not my pics).

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 1,085
    It's ok discussing hi-tech methods of heating, but someone that is unemployed living in a council house on £74 a week will think you are mad.
    Sunny Dundee
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,673
    I’m not being dismissive of the wider issue, but I am not unemployed, don’t live in a council house and my income exceeds £74 a week. Knowing nothing about infrared panels I am grateful for the link so, thank you Fire.

PS Obelixx for PM!
    Rutland, England