Forum home The potting shed

Signs of Autumn

I know it’s only August but it looks as if an early autumn is on the cards … look who’s popped up all over this garden during today …

Love them 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,200
    Yes - I noticed a few odd ones in the front border at the end of last week. 

The neighbour's silver birch is busy dropping yellow leaves all over the place too...
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • harmonyharmony Posts: 396
    Yes popped up in my garden too. I love them too the leaves are gorgeous as well when they come out..
  • harmonyharmony Posts: 396
    Actually  has yours got Leaves Dove ?
    Mine is buried under Rozanne at the moment and i have checked and there are no leaves only the flowers..
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,311
    harmony said:
    Actually  has yours got Leaves Dove ?
    Mine is buried under Rozanne at the moment and i have checked and there are no leaves only the flowers..
    That's how it is with Cyclamen hederifolium, flowers first, leaves later. I have some out though I thought they might be delayed by lack of rain.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 86,151
    Yes, it’s as @nutcutlet has said… the leaves don’t appear until the flowers are over 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 10,963
    On the tree lined walk up to the high st earlier I noticed the pavement had a good covering of leaves.
    As I rustled through them it took a moment to reconcile what was going on.
    Still not a drop 😥

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FireFire Posts: 17,390
    My heds have just popped up too. I noticed that the blackberries in the park seem to be having a rough time - all dried out.

Cracks in the clay you can almost put your arm into.

• FireFire Posts: 17,390
    Clematis Alba Luxurians  is gearing up to flower too. ☺️

• thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 1,048
    My clematis freckles (winter flowering) is throwing the odd flower out now and for the last month. I'm not sure if that's massively unusual but I've never noticed before.

The local woods have a decent leaf little now but that's from the trees dropping their leaves to conserve water rather than an early autumn. I don't think we will really get much of an autumn here because things will just shut up quickly and drop what's left.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,462
    Tegenaria in the bath!