Forum home Wildlife gardening

grass snake, well fed or ...

micearguersmicearguers Posts: 637
edited August 2022 in Wildlife gardening

This snake had just visited our pond. Might some innocent frogs just have landed up inside, or could it be a pregnancy?  Grass snakes lay eggs in June or July, so the former seems more likely. Our cat is not very bright (established on other occasions), and got at various stages quite close. I thought cats were supposed to be more afraid of snakes!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,819
    As you say, some cats are a sandwich or two short of a picnic.  

I reckon there's a frog or two in there. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FireFire Posts: 18,927
    That is one very healthy-sized snake. Good shot!
  • gjautosgjautos Posts: 427
    I can't answer your question, but great photo. What An amazing sight.
  • We've had grass snakes in previous years, but they have always been very elusive. Perhaps some combination of being unsettled by the cat, sluggishness caused by the heat, and having a full belly made it less elusive this year.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,927
    A shame for the ex-frogs. Norwegian blues?
  • Bereft of life for sure. This spring we counted 20 frogs during the spawning period, which diminishes the depth of my despair for the frogs. Or maybe it's a very flat elephant that the snake gobbled up.
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,890
    Wow. The grass snake I saw crossing the lawn was a mere shoelace compared to the width of that one. Looks like it had a decent lunch to me ( or dinner, or yesterday’s breakfast or earlier!) I don’t know how long their digestive transit takes, but he / she will no doubt be heading off for a decent nap. 
    Your cat looks cute!
  • It’s well fed. Too late in the year for it to be gravid