Forum home Plants

Weed Shrub Identification please.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,960
    edited August 2022
    Yes, the native wild dogwood ... Cornus sanguinea ... lots of it in the hedgerows and woodland margins on the farm when I was a child.  Love it ... especially when it flames momentarily in the autumn ... one day the hedgerow is alight, the next day it's gone.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/a-z-of-british-trees/dogwood/ 

It is prone to suckering, so if you've cut it hard back that's probably what's happened. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    eg..these seen in other gardens..not able to accurately name them.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    edited August 2022
    Cornus are all amazing..eg Cornus capitata..evergreen.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,869
    Mine isn't beautiful like any of those @Silver surfer and @Dovefromabove. It doesn't have pretty coloured stems in the winter. It pops up where I don't want it like in with the raspberries in the veg garden. There is even one right next to the rose on OH's grave in the cemetery. I will have to dig up the rose to get the cornus out.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
    Pity.
    Then you will just have to work hard and remove the stumps.
    Maybe treat yourself to a fab one.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,960
    Sometimes a particular wild one will have better coloured stems than the others … I expect that was how the better strains were developed … but most have good colour on the autumn leaves. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• @Silver surfer your photos of Cornus are brilliant. Wonder if you have grown Cornus mas (cornelian cherry)? Planted one last year in the orchard and it had one flower but it is still a small plant.
    @Silver surfer your photos of Cornus are brilliant. Wonder if you have grown Cornus mas (cornelian cherry)? Planted one last year in the orchard and it had one flower but it is still a small plant.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Wonderful garden @Silver surfer,   How many acres have you got,  you must have a thousand plants. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

@Silver surfer your photos of Cornus are brilliant. Wonder if you have grown Cornus mas (cornelian cherry)? Planted one last year in the orchard and it had one flower but it is still a small plant.
    Thank you.
    Sorry got interrupted before.
    Pics above are Cornus mas...also grow and love Cornus officianalis...has super peeling bark.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .