Forum home Garden design

Seedling ID please

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,531
    Think that is Circea lutetiana, Enchanter's nightshade. In spite of the common name it is not a nightshade  (Solanum) but a relative of evening primrose. A bit of a nuisance weed, it runs but is easy to pull out in soft soil but will break off at the root if the soil is hard. Like moist woodland conditions, flowers are delicate and pretty in a low key way.
  • didywdidyw Posts: 3,519
    @Buttercupdays - I am in awe of your ability to identify something that I've never even heard of!  Hats off to you!
    Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 1,273
    It looks like a beech seedling to me.

• WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 1,273
    edited August 2022
    Enchanters nightshade has opposite leaves. I've just taken this photo showing the flower too.
    As @Buttercupdays said, it can be persistent. I pull it up in borders but it's still there thirty years on!
  • UffUff Posts: 3,199
    Agree Woodgreen, I could set up a market stall selling those from the wood at the side of me.
    SW SCOTLAND but born in Derbyshire
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,531
    @didyw I can ID it because I have it in my garden!
     As I want to give a home to as many of our local wild plants as I can, I give it some leeway in suitable parts of the garden but pull it up in my borders. It keeps popping up in new places, but it doesn't cause any harm to other plants, so isn't a major problem.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,647
    edited August 2022
    Enchanters nightshade in our garden is all over the place. It is easy to pull out but once seeding then you carry the seeds around all over again. Yes we are very much wanting wildflowers in our garden but some do take over and this is one.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,411
    I also have much Enchanter's Nightshade and I don't recognise it in the OP. another photo, a little more in focus, might convince me

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • izzy8izzy8 Posts: 147
    The leaves remind me of Fuchsia,  my enchanter  nightshade leaves are  duller green and dont have a toothed edge
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,925
    It is not Enchanters Nightshade, i have a garden full of it. Fairly sure it is a sapling.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border