Forum home The potting shed

ID'd one myself, for a change 😃

HeartinthedirtHeartinthedirt Posts: 300
edited August 2022 in The potting shed
Using my little book of British wildflowers I managed to identify Black Medick in our work in progress wildflower patch. Found some info online, but what I don't know is how invasive is it and will I regret it if I don't pull it? Anyone know? Ta. 
It's knowing what to do with things that counts - Robert Frost

• FireFire Posts: 17,323
    It is very spready but also offers nectar. It is related to clover (pea family) and is nitrogen fixing. In the dry garden I pick it out when it pushes other things out, but it's very low growing. You could think of it like yellow clover - a cheery, bullet proof plant. Just my two cents.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 86,030
    Its all over our front lawn ... the bees love it.  It's hard to deal with if you don't want it in a lawn, but we don't mind 'cos our lawn isn't great for grass, it's far too dry even in wet years.  We're happy with anything that grows there.

In beds and borders Black Medick is easy enough to hand weed out ... just don't let it take over.  Have a purge from time to time. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I do like it, so it gets to stay for now. Anything for the bees! ☺️
    Medick appeared this week on GW as good plant for wildlife.

• I saw that, @Fire, got a bit over-excited about it 😂
    We've all been there. :D