Forum home Plants

Rosemary not flowering

In my garden I had an ancient Rosmarinus officinalis, which flowered profusely from the time we bought it in a pot at the garden centre until the time came this year to regretfully dispose of the gnarled old trunk growing right across the pathway and making access very difficult for us by now less than mobile old folk, some 30+ years later.  The first bumblebees of spring used to think it was heaven.  Two years before it went, we bought a potential replacement and put that elsewhere in the garden, but although that one has grown it has never flowered  :(

So my question is, is it ever likely to flower, and if so is there anything I can do to persuade it?  Encouraging words and Miracle-Gro have had no visible effect.

Thank you

Michael Hooker

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,690
    In 1978 we moved into our home and Rosemary was one of the plants already in situ. We had no idea what gardening was and allowed it to do what it did. Then we started to get involved and Rosemary had to to be moved. She is still with us and still flowering.
    Maybe yours is still a baby so give it a chance and as you say the insects love it.
  • Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 589
    At the risk of stating the obvious , is the position "elsewhere" in the garden getting similar amounts of sun and with similar soil as the original plant?
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,208
    I’d avoid feeding your plant, this often encourages foliage growth at the expense of flowering.  Rosemary is happy in dry conditions once the roots are established and enjoys free draining soil and full sun.
  • Thanks.  The new plant gets sun from the same angles at the same time as the old one did.  As for the soil, we have horrid clay and over the years various composts, clay-breakers, organic matter etc have been dug in as far as I could get.  So it is very hard to say if the soil is different in the two spots.  If it helps, there are lavenders, salvias, a Bergamot (Monada), a Fuchsia and lots of Verbena and some Crocosmia all flowering happily in the same small bed.