Forum home Plants

Perianual sweet peas

zakzakzakzak Posts: 98
I have a perianual sweet pea it's a big plant. And it's not yet flowered. Why is this pls

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,509
    edited 4 August
    Hello zakzak. There are several reasons why perennial sweet peas don't flower. They could be suffering from shade - they love being in sunlight; excessive heat which we have had a great deal of this Summer and connected to that, being too dry.
    Do you have your plant in the ground or in a pot?
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • zakzakzakzak Posts: 98
    It's in a pot. Yes it has been in shade/sun. Now it's in more sun. I water regularly.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,509
    Is it possible your pot might be too small?
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,482
    Perennial peas are VERY hungry, both in terms of food and water. 
    They also have pretty impressive root systems so pots are not ideal. 
    Devon.
    No it's quite large.
    Ok thanku all my plants are in pots as I can't dig and do normal gardening. I've just looked at it and it looks like there's one flower going to burst open in next couple of days.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,482
    I'd feed with tomato food every week
    Devon.
    Thanku for your help.🌞
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,724
    You might have better luck if you restrict the size of the plant and not let it sprawl. I have several planted out in the garden and I try to keep them to head height. As Hosta says, water and feed lots. You might be better off with Annual sweet peas next year. They are hungry and thirsty too. 
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,186
    Which part of the UK do you live zakzak? You can see where I live and 2 of mine have just started to flower. Buds are only just forming on the other two. All four of them are looking very healthy.