Forum home Problem solving

Congested Hardy geraniums

Hello,

The recent hot weather caused my hardy geraniums to die out.  

To be honest, they usually start off really well and then collapse and I always wondered why.

The die back has caused me to look at them more closely and they are very congested.

I just read that they should be divided every few years, so perhaps this is why they have not been doing so great.

There is a large area where they are planted so I am wondering how to tackle this.

Shall I just take clumps out from various areas? And not worry about the damage too much? They really are very congested.

One of the photos shows part of the stem.  On some it is very long.  Can this part be cut back?

I have attached a few photos,
Thank you

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,289
    edited 4 August
    I've just cut back all my hardy geraniums to ground level to encourage a second flush of flowering.  You could do this now and then in autumn cut your plants back again, dig them up, divide them, remove any dead growth in the centre and plant your divisions as you choose.  Most geraniums benefit from division when they get straggly and untidy.  You can also do this in spring.
  • sabeehasabeeha Posts: 341
    Thank you @Plantminded I will wait for autumn then.

regarding that stem, it needs to be totally above ground? 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,420
    As @Plantminded says, you can shear over the clump, give them a good drink and fresh growth will appear. 
    Personally l would lift and divide in Spring when (hopefully) the ground is moist.
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 585
    I have had to hack ours back because of the lack of rain and the top growth dying back. It has meant the beginning of new growth but I don't think they will flower again as it's to dry. 
    Thank you @AnniD , I thought he meant just cutting the leaves/green stems etc. not the woody bit!
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,289
    You can cut everything to ground level, including the stem/exposed rhizomes.  I usually cut just above any newly emerging leaves if there are any, otherwise at ground level.
    @thevictorian yes, it is still very dry here too.  There has been light rain a few times overnight, but not much.  

I need to think of that area of the border a bit more, I removed a shrub there that was long and straggly and totally gone, and now it has a huge area where there are just geraniums - and as a result, it looks awful when the geraniums have died back - just bare! And now, all straw like :(
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,566
    Everything's all straw-like here ... beds, borders and 'lawns' ... I'm ignoring it until it's all had a thorough soaking or three.  🌧🌧🌧
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

You can cut everything to ground level, including the stem/exposed rhizomes.  I usually cut just above any newly emerging leaves if there are any, otherwise at ground level.
    @Plantminded thank you that’s very helpful 👍 feel a bit nervous doing it as it looks so woody!
    edited 4 August
    Everything's all straw-like here ... beds, borders and 'lawns' ... I'm ignoring it until it's all had a thorough soaking or three.  🌧🌧🌧
    Yup, lawn totally gone here too, hopefully it will bounce back.