Forum home Problem solving

Huge mass of irises

Hello

I have finally started to address an area in my garden where irises are planted.

I read that the rhizomes need light (opposite of me piling on compost a couple of days ago!) and when I was clearing it away I noticed they have formed a huge mass (newbie gardener! Never really noticed).

I thought about dividing it but it’s such a huge mound.  There are areas where the rhizomes are just under the surface and haven’t produced any leaves.  I’m not sure how to tackle this - whether I should break up the whole mound and spread it about in other areas? 

Any advice would be most gratefully received,

Thank you!

• sabeehasabeeha Posts: 341

• thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 585
    Do you know which iris they are? They look like iris sibirica. Did they have purple flowers?

Bearded iris are the ones that need to be sunbaked. So what you do depends on which they are but from the looks of it you can just split them and replant in the same way as sibirica like moist soil.   
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,289
    Hi @sabeeha, looks like you're going to be busy with more dividing!  This RHS video should help you: Video on dividing irises / RHS Gardening
    Do you know which iris they are? They look like iris sibirica. Did they have purple flowers?

Bearded iris are the ones that need to be sunbaked. So what you do depends on which they are but from the looks of it you can just split them and replant in the same way as sibirica like moist soil.   
    @thevictorian Yes, after Googling the name you suggested, I think it is them thank you!  I do remember it flowering, but the flowers are very few and insignificant.  

Just reading up now, and from what you say - they like moist soil, and where they are planted isn’t exactly moist (but will keep in mind now!).

Thank you!
    Thank you @Plantminded - needed a few other spaces filling, so will be a good thing :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,566
    edited 4 August
    Hi @sabeeha, looks like you're going to be busy with more dividing!  This RHS video should help you: Video on dividing irises / RHS Gardening
    The video in that link shows Bearded irises (aka Flag irises).  @sabeeha 's irises are Iris sibirica ... very different plants needing different treatment and conditions.  

This has the information you need https://www.gardengatemagazine.com/articles/how-to/divide/dividing-siberian-iris/

:) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you! @Dovefromabove
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 585
    They are quite adaptable and will grow in anything from a normal border to a bog garden or even in the margins of a pond.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,289
    The video in that link shows Bearded irises (aka Flag irises).  @sabeeha 's irises are Iris sibirica ... very different plants needing different treatment and conditions.  

This has the information you need https://www.gardengatemagazine.com/articles/how-to/divide/dividing-siberian-iris/

:) 
    Apologies @sabeeha, they do indeed require different treatments!
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,657
    You can chop it up into chunks with a spade and replant where required. No need to be delicate. They prefer a bit of moisture and will take some light shade (unlike bearded irises). The bald part in the middle can be discarded, just retain the healthier areas from the edge.