Forum home Plants

How do you tell raspberry plants from brambles?

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,307
I'm pretty sure that my raspberry plants died while I was away.  Dead brown sticks.
But there are what are probably brambles alive and kicking and winding about the vicinity.  How can I tell?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,570
    My raspberries are early summer ones but the way I tell the difference is the raspberries have brighter green leaves, finer prickles and head upwards, whereas the brambles are darker green, spread across and have sharper prickles. Not sure if any of that is botanically accurate, but it works for me. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,307
    As the raspberries are probably dead, it's not possible to compare but I'll see how prickly the suspects are but I assume theyre brambles. Plenty about elsewhere..
    Do you think the raspberries are dead or lurking below ground @AuntyRach
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,116
    @B3 your raspberries could sprout from the underground roots next spring. I plant only thornless varieties of raspberries, so anything with prominent prickles is definitely brambles.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,307
    Thanks @Eustace. I won't dig them out then. Although, I don't know why I bother. The squirrels or pigeons get most of them anyway😕
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,570
    I think raspberries have deep roots. Think they will regrow but may not fruit the first year if no canes. Having said that, my ‘summer-fruiting raspberries’ always die back and fruit on new growth, which I thought was a feature of the Autumn varieties ? Perhaps they aren’t raspberries at all? Or I haven’t got a clue. Any combination possible there. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,537
    My early ones have finished fruiting now, leaves practically all dropped off, I’ve cut those right down to the ground and the new ones for next years fruit are already up.
    I’m sure all raspberries like blackberries, fruit on new growth every year.
    You cut the fruiting stems right off.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.