Forum home Problem solving

Disaster overseeding the lawn

Hi everyone, first time here and I have one hell of a problem! 

I scarified the lawn over the weekend following up with overseeding and spreading some branded topsoil 

After the rain had watered it in I noticed some blue shiney bits of glass and small white pebbles and pieces of slate in there 

After closer inspection it turns out that the top soil is full of glass and small rocks and have no idea what my options are to remove this before the seed grows,

we have 2 pets and kids that play on the lawn so can’t be having pieces of glass etc in there, it would also be fun when it comes to mowing time…

what are my options? 

I don’t think hand picking is an option… 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,295
    I suppose you could try raking systematically,  and scraping up from there.  You will probably loose a lot of the seeds too but there it is.
    AB Still learning

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,390
    I would definitely contact the manufacturer as well.
    Take photos of the stuff "in situ", and also what you have managed to collect up.
    If you still have the bag(s) that it came in, take photos of the barcode and any other manufacturer codes and send them in an email. Ring the number on the packaging or try googling for any contact details. Also might be worth contacting the store that you bought them from and let them know.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    First of all this is completely the wrong tim eof year to be scarifying and re-seeding lawns.  It should be done in April or September when temperatures and moisture levels are conducive to grass seed germination.

That said, take photos and samples and contact the manufacturer and the shop who sold the topsoil.  I would expect one of them to arrange to clear it up for you and provide new topsoil and seed, assuming the letter is well-worded and points out the dangers to your children, pets and wildlife.  State calmly that you look forward to their helpful and rapid response but that if you do not receive a satisfactory response you will refer the matter to the trading standards officer.

The only other thing to do is to begin scraing up and bagging all the top soil and the glass and rubbish and stash it safely till it can be removed by you or the supplier.   Consider also some cheap chicken wire fence around it to keep children and pets off while the mess is cleared up and made safe.  Add that to the costs to be recuperated.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ShepherdsBarnShepherdsBarn DevonPosts: 343
    Would the vacuum on a leaf blower be powerful enough to suck up the glass etc? I've never used one so not sure if this is a silly question! Perhaps you could borrow/hire a powerful one if you don't have one? 
  • Thanks , I have contacted both The shop and the brand I bought, I will let you know their response, I simply don’t have time to do anything myself so will have to get someone in to do it for me, hopefully someone will pick up the bill! And I did think of an industrial hoover kind of thing, I wonder if it would undo all my hard work😭
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I would think a garden vac would suck up the seed and loose soil before glass and stones.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,215
    Rake will not be much use you need a stiff brush.  
  • Rock.climber91Rock.climber91 Posts: 3
    edited 2 August
    Well I have spoke to the manufacturer and one of their upper management called me  very promptly saying they were very surprised and will refund and replace my topsoil and also foot the bill for a gardener to sort it out for me.

happy days! 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    Result! Well done.