Forum home Problem solving

Potato problem

For the first time in many years growing potatoes, I've got a problem.
While some remain very healthy, others are wilting and dying.
I'd welcome suggestions as to why why.
Thanks.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,965
    The soil looks a bit rough/dry and you seem to have quite a lot of other planting close to them.
    @Dovefromabove will be able to advise you  :)
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,511
    The edges of the leaves in the top photo appear to be blight. and the bottom photo could also be blight or it could just be a plant that is done. Either way cut all the foliage off, if you want to store the potatoes wait at least a week and then dig up the tubers, if you just want to eat them straight away then you can dig them up at the same time.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,915
    Unlucky to be making a first attempt at potatoes this year - hot, dry weather doesn't suit them so if you're in England, it's probably nothing you've done. If you live in Scotland, that may not be the problem and it's more possible that it's blight. If the stems are going to a soggy mush, it could be blight, if they are just dried out, the plants have probably just given up.

It doesn't make much different to the advice though - I agree with Skandi - take the foliage off, and dig a few up to see what you've got going on there. If anything.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • powderworkspowderworks Posts: 26
    edited 1 August
    Thanks raisingirl,
    I live in Cumbria where we've had plenty of rain. 
    Everything's pointing to blight.
    I've dug up one plant and the potatoes are small. 
    Oh well, lesson learned.
    Thanks.