Forum home The potting shed

🏖HELLO FORKERS 🍦 AUG ‘22 🏖

• Pat EPat E Posts: 12,133
    There is a prediction for seriously strong winds coming across the country from WA. Luckily, I managed 4 loads of washing out and back in today, so I hope it’ll keep us going for some days.   I’ve had to use the tumble drier for some of it, but it was meaty dry, so I don’t feel too guilty about using power unnecessarily. 
    S. E. NSW
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,168
    Morning all.

@Pat E I think you should go to settings and change your spell checker. I changed mine. Now it tells me if a word is spelt incorrectly, underlines in red, but it doesn't correct it and it doesn't try to decide what I want to type.

Another hot day. More places with water restrictions. I found the official map from the prefecture and, luckily, where I am isn't restricted - yet.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,814
    Morning all, wasting away the morning waiting for Openreach to come and install sparkling new fibre broadband. Given that they have been on strike for the last couple of days I suspect that it may be a no-show despite the flurry of emails over the weekend reminding me that they will be coming.

I am getting more excited about the progress of my sweetcorn, now 7ft tall with swelling fruits. The runner beans are getting into their stride now and the courgettes are hitting hyperdrive! It dawned on me yesterday that my agapanthus aren't going to flower this year after being demolished by muntjac deer last year.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,005
    Waving at you all from the depths of S Lincs … feet up, coffee to hand, knitting and Commonwealth Games in progress … OH is painting a wall. 

@steephill we passed acres of parched looking maize yesterday, much of it only a metre tall .,, normally it would be twice the height by now 😢 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• didywdidyw Posts: 3,366
    I just can't believe it @Busy-Lizzie.  Have you documented all of the appointments/cancellations etc.?  I think if you can somehow escalate this, and a letter to the EDP might be in order too, perhaps C. can finally have his op.  It's just crazy what they have put him (and you) through.  Liz Truss - say no more!  After an outcry this morning she has been forced to halt her plans to cut public sector pay outside London.  (Outcry from fellow Conservatives as that is all that counts at the moment).

@Hostafan1 - read your post from yesterday and my heart broke a little bit.

The garden is sore neglected at the moment. The veg patch is looking really sorry for itself with all but the chard looking quite diseased.  No idea what I'm going to do with it this year but it will be given over to potatoes next year.

But for now - I'm so involved in the Black Shuck Festival we'll be holding on Thursday and then lots more work to do on Food & Drink Fair I'm running for October that I can't spend as much time in the garden as I'd like.  The dahlias are looking good though.  And I'll be collecting the seed from the lunaria Somerset Marble in a bit.  Promised some to someone on here so will message to get address.

Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy Posts: 6,562
    Spent my morning digging first early spuds. Ground like concrete except where the spuds are. Some are huge not like early, or new spuds at all. 

@Busy-Lizzie, this has gone way beyond unacceptable now. I  agree about trying to follow up, complain. Try MP she might just do something to try to boost her campaign. 
    AB Still learning

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,814
    Full fibre broadband up and running, now I can noodle on here at high speed. Morning appointment turned into an afternoon one but it is sorted now. It took a little while for the new digital phone service to start up although the broadband connection was instant.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,063
    Hi folks,  Art class started again this morning, we were working with inks, really enjoyed it.  Got lots of washing and drying done too.  No gardening though. We have a delivery of wood for the burner coming tomorrow so that's my morning taken care of.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,000
    Cloudy, very humid day here, trying to drizzle on my way back home after I'd been to the hairdressers but fortunately didn't come to anything. I put the second coat of varnish on the post this afternoon.

Sorry @Busy-Lizzie, I'd completely forgotten your MP was Liz Truss, as you say, she's a bit busy right now. Pleased she seems to be winning, we might get more sensible things done with a woman in charge. They've been trying to adjust the pay of civil servants outside London for yonks which would be a sensible measure by all accounts.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,063
    Lizzie, I would love to respond but I wont.  I'll keep my political comments for the politics thread, otherwise I'll be banned from here.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
This discussion has been closed.