Forum home Plants

This plant hitch-hiked with another in my garden

zugeniezugenie Posts: 572
edited 31 July in Plants
Evidently it was in the same pot but completely took over, it got to about 5foot tall and flowered (pink tubular shaped, not unlike a bindweed flower shape wise but much smaller) I realised it wasn’t the plant I had planted and cut it right back, few weeks later I noticed it was regrowing so dug it and the other plant up, the roots were a bit intense so hoping for an ID, please!

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 1,990
    @zugenie Rosebay willow herb?
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 572
    @GardenerSuze no, not that, but when I googled it I saw something similar and it looks like it’s great willowherb! So thank you very much :)
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 1,990
    @zugenie Yes there are two different ones that I am aware of ,the leaves are different but the roots are a give away. There is a white flowered form that can look lovely grouped in a shady corner. Sadly yours is very much a weed.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,068
    Willowherb looks so demure and pretty, telling us 'I'm just a lovely little thing, growing here in your border and I don't need much water', but underground its horrible roots betray it for the devil in disguise it really is.